Picard - Maps and Legends

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Re: Picard - Maps and Legends

Post by Archon_Wing »

Artabax wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm
Archon_Wing wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 pm Now I just want to replace Clancy with Janeway.

But you have to give Clancy credit. Despite the fact that she clearly hates Picard and thinks he's crazy, she did still pass on the information to Starfleet Security so she wasn't just being a complete ass for the sake of it.
You say that like it's a good thing.
Well, it's not like she knew that.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Are we surprised Starfleet security is bad? This is the Federation whose flagship’s computer was once hacked by ordinary kids.

I’m pretty sure starfleet security is the keystone cops. If anything could justify section 31’s existence it’s the idea that we can’t possibly leave security to those bozos, even in utopia.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 am Are we surprised Starfleet security is bad? This is the Federation whose flagship’s computer was once hacked by ordinary kids.

I’m pretty sure starfleet security is the keystone cops. If anything could justify section 31’s existence it’s the idea that we can’t possibly leave security to those bozos, even in utopia.
One of my favorite bits in DS9 was when Worf had a security complaint for Odo, and Odo just gave him a shit-eating grin and pulled out his prepared list of all the security failings on Enterprise under Worf's watch.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 am Are we surprised Starfleet security is bad? This is the Federation whose flagship’s computer was once hacked by ordinary kids.

Honestly, what do you expect?
Do I need to remind you of the Wolf 359 desaster, that was as desatrous as it was, because the captains of the fleets ship were not smart enough, to let at least their family members leave the ship on the next available, friendly class M planet.

As a captain, I would've said "Okay, guys and girls, we're about to meet a race, that apparently assimilated our good Jean Luc. Families, you get off that ship at once."
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Link8909 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pmI have never, ever understood the hate for that song. Those lyrics over images of exploration from ancient times to a warp powered starship - that is everything Star Trek should be about. And that aside, at least its memorable. Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard have generic ''dark sci-fi'' theme tunes that you could safely find on any bargain bin DVD down the local mart.
ehhhhh I think it's more taking the narrative of Star Trek and making a theme around specifically that. I'm not the biggest fan of the symbolic symphony tones, but this song is kind of a step in the wrong direction. Weirdly the TOS theme is the one I've cared about the least, but it probably best serves what the show it's opening, as I'm thinking of it now. The TNG/TMP theme was just an opening crawl theme they made for Trek instead of Star Wars, and is my favorite still, but isn't really TNG's in its own.

But don't worry, I do have faith of the heart by the time the show ended.
Personally I like the theme to Star Trek Picard, sounds absolute beautiful with amazing imageryalong side it, the theme to Star Trek Discovery is pretty good too, and honestly the score to both series are fantastic, both done by Jeff Russo, definitely an improvement over the background music in late The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but I've always got a soft spot for the music in The Original Series, always loved how shows sounded back then, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons is another great example.
Yes. I can't remember the Picard theme, but I feel it's an upgrade to Discovery's theme. For a moment I thought the show would might have some aesthetic scenes where we can appreciate humanity from a different perspective and sulk; you know, how the theme is, but the show features a lot of fast heavy and dark thematism.

Concerning the Picard- and Discovery-Theme: I like them, but I have a problem with them. They are too silent, not pompous enough. I mean, come on, these are new Trek shows, give us some pomp and circumstance.

And I think, to a certain extent, these intro-themes are the reasons, why some people say "this is everything but star trek."
Think about it: Both intros, Disco and Pic do their own thing, one more darker, the other more lighter, and then, in the end, as if to remind us "By the way, we're still Trek", we get the familiar tunes of TOS and TNG.

But all in all, both intros sound a bit - due to lack of a better word - thin, if you catch my drift. I have the same problem with the Intro-Melody of the american "House of Cards". If you compare and contrast the american to the british intro, you find, that the british is doing pomp and circumstance, while the american version is too silent.

If I remember the Jack-Ryan-Intro correctly, and the Treadstone Intro, I think, it's time that this bad habit of "silent intro songs" needs to die. Give us proper intros, not the "Wham-bam-thank-you-mam"-Intro á la "Once Upon a Time", "Lost","Revenge" or "Agents of Shield" - I long for good Intros, like "Step by Step" or the german intro of "Rich man, poor man", which showed hand drawn pictures of the characters. And you can say about Glen. A. Larson vehicles like Knight Rider, Automan, Battlestar Galactica or Manimal, whatever you want - but the intros were amazing, same goes for the Wonder Woman Show, the Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman or M*A*S*H. I think, the last, great intro sequences were Stargate SG 1 and Stargate Atlantis. Stargate Boringverse already did the "Here is our title, now on with the show"-Bullcrap.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 am

One of my favorite bits in DS9 was when Worf had a security complaint for Odo, and Odo just gave him a shit-eating grin and pulled out his prepared list of all the security failings on Enterprise under Worf's watch.
I love that scene, you know Odo had that list prepared and was waiting for that exacted moment.

But yeah, Starfleet security really needs better training, where's Lieutenant Alex Munro when you need him?
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am Concerning the Picard- and Discovery-Theme: I like them, but I have a problem with them. They are too silent, not pompous enough. I mean, come on, these are new Trek shows, give us some pomp and circumstance.

And I think, to a certain extent, these intro-themes are the reasons, why some people say "this is everything but star trek."
Think about it: Both intros, Disco and Pic do their own thing, one more darker, the other more lighter, and then, in the end, as if to remind us "By the way, we're still Trek", we get the familiar tunes of TOS and TNG.

But all in all, both intros sound a bit - due to lack of a better word - thin, if you catch my drift. I have the same problem with the Intro-Melody of the american "House of Cards". If you compare and contrast the american to the british intro, you find, that the british is doing pomp and circumstance, while the american version is too silent.

If I remember the Jack-Ryan-Intro correctly, and the Treadstone Intro, I think, it's time that this bad habit of "silent intro songs" needs to die. Give us proper intros, not the "Wham-bam-thank-you-mam"-Intro á la "Once Upon a Time", "Lost","Revenge" or "Agents of Shield" - I long for good Intros, like "Step by Step" or the german intro of "Rich man, poor man", which showed hand drawn pictures of the characters. And you can say about Glen. A. Larson vehicles like Knight Rider, Automan, Battlestar Galactica or Manimal, whatever you want - but the intros were amazing, same goes for the Wonder Woman Show, the Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman or M*A*S*H. I think, the last, great intro sequences were Stargate SG 1 and Stargate Atlantis. Stargate Boringverse already did the "Here is our title, now on with the show"-Bullcrap.
Yeah, some of modern themes aren't great, Vikings theme is dull and moody, and both The Last Kingdom and Frontiers themes are so annoying with the "AAYAAYAYYAAH!" chanting in them, and while I do like the theme for Star Trek Picard, I think a lot of themes and intros of the past had character to them, I mentioned Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons before, that intro had brilliant atmosphere to it, Thunderbirds was great too, and I really like the updated version of it in Thunderbirds Are Go, any version of the Doctor Who theme is great and mostly comes down to the visuals of the intro, for me the trippier the better, Beast Wars is fantastic with it's jungle beats, syndetic orogastric and 90s Rock all in one, and Anime seems to always have the best intros and themes as well, anyone of the songs from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a classic, both One Punch Mans themes are brilliant, and the intro to Dragon Ball Supers Tournament of Power and Ultra Instinct theme are catchy as hell, also My Roommate Is A Cats theme and intro is adorable.
Last edited by Link8909 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am

Do I need to remind you of the Wolf 359 desaster, that was as desatrous as it was, because the captains of the fleets ship were not smart enough, to let at least their family members leave the ship on the next available, friendly class M planet.

As a captain, I would've said "Okay, guys and girls, we're about to meet a race, that apparently assimilated our good Jean Luc. Families, you get off that ship at once."
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Link8909 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pmI have never, ever understood the hate for that song. Those lyrics over images of exploration from ancient times to a warp powered starship - that is everything Star Trek should be about. And that aside, at least its memorable. Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard have generic ''dark sci-fi'' theme tunes that you could safely find on any bargain bin DVD down the local mart.
ehhhhh I think it's more taking the narrative of Star Trek and making a theme around specifically that. I'm not the biggest fan of the symbolic symphony tones, but this song is kind of a step in the wrong direction. Weirdly the TOS theme is the one I've cared about the least, but it probably best serves what the show it's opening, as I'm thinking of it now. The TNG/TMP theme was just an opening crawl theme they made for Trek instead of Star Wars, and is my favorite still, but isn't really TNG's in its own.

But don't worry, I do have faith of the heart by the time the show ended.
Personally I like the theme to Star Trek Picard, sounds absolute beautiful with amazing imageryalong side it, the theme to Star Trek Discovery is pretty good too, and honestly the score to both series are fantastic, both done by Jeff Russo, definitely an improvement over the background music in late The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but I've always got a soft spot for the music in The Original Series, always loved how shows sounded back then, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons is another great example.
Yes. I can't remember the Picard theme, but I feel it's an upgrade to Discovery's theme. For a moment I thought the show would might have some aesthetic scenes where we can appreciate humanity from a different perspective and sulk; you know, how the theme is, but the show features a lot of fast heavy and dark thematism.

Concerning the Picard- and Discovery-Theme: I like them, but I have a problem with them. They are too silent, not pompous enough. I mean, come on, these are new Trek shows, give us some pomp and circumstance.

Rather infamously, the episode of SG-1 whereby Martin the alien tried to make an in-universe rip-off of Stargate had him commenting that science fiction of the future would not have theme tunes any more - to which the members of SG-1 the piss out of him for it. And then Stargate Universe did exactly that...

Y'know, speaking of SGU, that show is a microcosm of everything I hate about modern Star Trek. It has the ''edgier'' plot lines that really just amounted to tits and swearing of ENT, and it has the morally dubious asshole protagonists of STD and PIC that you cannot root for. Truly one of the worst big name sci-fi shows I have ever seen and yet to this day I will defend its concept: being stuck on a ship that you have no control over billions of light years from anything the viewer has seen has such potential. And occasionally, towards the end, we saw glimmers of what it could have been when we started to get hints of aliens even more advanced than the Ancients (read: able to build whole planets) but boy, was it not worth the wait to get there.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Do we know they didn't? Sisko's wife was a Starfleet officer so she had reason to be on the ship.

I'm seriously asking because I don't remember one way or another. It'd be pretty stupid if they did leave civilians on board. Especially after going on with the entire separating the saucer section to show they thought about exactly that problem when the show started.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Do we know they didn't? Sisko's wife was a Starfleet officer so she had reason to be on the ship.

I'm seriously asking because I don't remember one way or another. It'd be pretty stupid if they did leave civilians on board. Especially after going on with the entire separating the saucer section to show they thought about exactly that problem when the show started.
I had a look and from what I can gather Jennifer Sisko was not in Starfleet, so yeah, they did bring civilians into a combat zone, but this is definitely an issue of that time in Star Trek, with peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Star Empire in hiding and the conflict with the Cardassian Union resolved, space never felt more safe than ever and people felt the Federation and Starfleet was indestructible, until Wolf 359, that was a harsh lesson for Starfleet to learn.

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Link8909 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm

I had a look and from what I can gather Jennifer Sisko was not in Starfleet, so yeah, they did bring civilians into a combat zone, but this is definitely an issue of that time in Star Trek, with peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Star Empire in hiding and the conflict with the Cardassian Union resolved, space never felt more safe than ever and people felt the Federation and Starfleet was indestructible, until Wolf 359, that was a harsh lesson for Starfleet to learn.
As Chuck said, Wolf 359 was to the Federation what 9/11 was to post-Cold War America. Man, I remember the 1990s. And whilst i fully agree with what our fellow poster Kami once pointed out about how shitty certain parts of Europe were in the wake of 1989, in Britain and the US things seemed so bright. Good films, good TV, everyone was getting richer and more equal, and our enemies seemed vanquished. In those days, as stupid as it seems now, I can see why the Enterprise became a flying mall tbh.

I'll tell you this much, if you told me in 2000 what 2020 would look like I wouldn't have believed you.