Jurassic Park film

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Jurassic Park film

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:15 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:50 pmI think the idea is more that they were around and only fit in the ecosystem at the time, whereas now they wouldn't fit.

The idea of chaos theory if I'm not mistaken is that in the order/chaos dynamic, the order fits into the chaos sort of like a glove. Dinosaurs represent a huge distortion in the current mold.
They'd perfectly fit, increasingly so even, if you count in global warming. Don't forget, they'd be an invasive species at this point, as they have literally no natural predators.
I'm not sure how invasive they are to an island with nothing but birds, but the movie even did posit that there were a host of incompatibilities between them and the environment.

Anyways might be a good idea for me to query what you mean by counting in global warming.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The global average used to be considerably warmer during their time. You'd expect it to have an influence on their ability to survive that long, at least for some of the dinosaur-species.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:45 pm
Archanubis wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:55 pm Wait, when did scientists determine that Tyrannosaurus and its ilk were problem solvers?
Couple of years ago:
https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/inside-the-mind-of-a-dinosaur-2/

https://paleontologyworld.com/dinosaurs-%E2%80%93-species-encycolpedia-paleontologists-curiosities/new-research-shows-t-rex-was-smart

https://magazine.columbia.edu/article/book-excerpt-rise-and-fall-dinosaurs
Regarding the whole "problem solving thing," one of the scientists clarified that Tryannosaurus and its ilk were "smart (for reptiles), but not on mammal levels of braininess." So, smart for their family, but probably not that smart.

https://twitter.com/SteveBrusatte/status/1220391171953954816
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Archanubis wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:32 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:45 pm
Archanubis wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:55 pm Wait, when did scientists determine that Tyrannosaurus and its ilk were problem solvers?
Couple of years ago:
https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/inside-the-mind-of-a-dinosaur-2/

https://paleontologyworld.com/dinosaurs-%E2%80%93-species-encycolpedia-paleontologists-curiosities/new-research-shows-t-rex-was-smart

https://magazine.columbia.edu/article/book-excerpt-rise-and-fall-dinosaurs
Regarding the whole "problem solving thing," one of the scientists clarified that Tryannosaurus and its ilk were "smart (for reptiles), but not on mammal levels of braininess." So, smart for their family, but probably not that smart.

https://twitter.com/SteveBrusatte/status/1220391171953954816
*sigh* It's hard not to feel conspired against when I dig into the sources, verify the data they're saying, and read the report directly from the scientist to ensure this isn't some journalist exaggerating, and that's STILL not enough. Apparently I'm going to have to head to Montana with a fucking pickaxe in the future.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

SFDebris wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:54 pm
*sigh* It's hard not to feel conspired against when I dig into the sources, verify the data they're saying, and read the report directly from the scientist to ensure this isn't some journalist exaggerating, and that's STILL not enough. Apparently I'm going to have to head to Montana with a fucking pickaxe in the future.
I don't think we'll ever know 100% for certain what Dinosaurs and the numerous other kinds of extinct animals were like. Their physical appearances, the noises they made, behavioral patterns... It will remain a mystery for us until the time we can create some kind of time travelling probe droid that can go back and observe Dinosaurs unobtrusively.

For example, the Mussaurus (featured in Crichton's Lost World novel) is named so because the initial skeleton they found was quite small, because it was an infant's remains. More recent findings have determined they were much bigger and were more in line with the Gallimimus-like type of Dinosaurs. Crichton can't be blamed for portraying it like that, because that was how scientists assumed that's how big the species could get at the time.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Not sure how smart the T-Rex is when we have a chicken that can play tic tac toe.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 am when we have a chicken that can play tic tac toe.
Citation needed.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:40 pm So, there are two Chucks now. That has to be useful!
I think this actually happened a long time ago and Chuck is only now revealing it! This is why he stopped saying "I'm just A viewer with an opinion." All his reviews have been composed by committee since he was copied and so he is no longer "a viewer" but "viewers".
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 am You probably didn't intend to frame it as such, but you ascribe an intent to random events. There is none. It just happened and, due to the short amount of time and lack of secondary means (no spaceships, no bunker-building), dinosaurs and many, a great many other species could not adapt to the new living conditions and consequentially died out. There is noone to blame, there is no intend, it just happened.
The word select does not really imply intent otherwise the phrase Natural Selection would imply intent, which it clearly does not.

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 am
JL_Stinger wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 pmIt doesn't matter that we're "more part of the Earth's system" than a space rock. Bad luck is unavoidable, but incompetance is unacceptable.
What incompetence?
JL_Stinger is talking about recent extinctions like the Condor (which did not go extinct but was very endangered). A quick Google suggests that the Condor numbers were reduced by habitat destruction and also lead poisoning from shot left in prey they scavenged. Assuming people did not intend to kill condors it shows a lack of skill or competence for them to do things like use lead shot that contaminates the environment and kills things they don't want to kill, more competent people would have found ways of doing things that did not unintentionally kill all those other animals. So incompetence killed those animals.
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:15 pm They'd perfectly fit, increasingly so even, if you count in global warming. Don't forget, they'd be an invasive species at this point, as they have literally no natural predators.
Keep in mind for every species that becomes invasive there are thousands if not millions that fail to become invasive, indeed invasiveness only occurs because the invasive species somehow outcompete the local species, ie all those local species fail to have what it takes to be invasive. Vulnerability to the wrong parasite, fungus, disease etc. dependence on the wrong plant, animal, microbe, protein or vitamin and so on will prevent a species from being invasive. I see no reason to think a given dinosaur species would have what it takes to be invasive.

I think BridgeConsoleMasher is correct there is more reason to think that a recently extinct species could reestablish a niche given that we probably have indication that things it depends on still exist and that it can avoid or resist relevant existing predators, parasites and disease. Although it depends on what drove the extinction, if it is over hunting by humans and we know we can stop that then I think it might be easy to resurrect a species (given cloning/genetic engineering etc.), if extinction was due to habitat destruction and we know its habitat is still gone it might be impossible and so on.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:25 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 am when we have a chicken that can play tic tac toe.
Citation needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npQ8sDxcI_c
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

You do realize, that the chicken is trained to react to a small light, pokes the place, which then highlights the marker? The chicken isn't playing, the machine is.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox