Hell is other reviewers

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Re: Hell is other reviewers

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

My favourites, besides our good Chuck, are Linkara, Good bad Flicks, Brandon's Cult movie Reviews, The Dom, Nostalgia Critic, Diamanda Hagan, Jill Bearup and - from Germany - Lefloid and DoktorFroid.
Anduinel
Redshirt

Post by Anduinel »

SFDebris, AV Club, MovieBob, and Jim Sterling are the only ones I read/view with any regularity.
YAGWG
Redshirt

Post by YAGWG »

The list of reviewers I follow:

SF Debris (obviously)
Brad Jones
Linkara
Film Brain

*puts on tin hat* I used to follow the Blockbuster Buster, but I stopped once he launched the "version 2.0" series as I wasn't getting into it *takes off tin hat*

I also used to follow Spoony, but, like some other people here, will wait until he's able to put out reviews again.

Btw, Mister Metokur on YouTube's doing a series on Channel Awesome peeps - he's already talked about Doug and Spoony, I think he's going to talk about Lindsay in the next one.
Creator: The Warren McArthur Chronicles

When in doubt, make a cheese sandwich...
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I have kinda fallen out with the better known reviewers ever since Channel Awesome finished To Boldly Flee which seemed like the end of an era. Linkara has not been quite as funny as he used to be, Spoony hasn't put out much i want to watch and the Nostalgia Critic is kind of, meh, though i was never a huge fan of his.

Aside from chuck i have kinda moved on to other reviewers like Projared and The Examined Life of Gaming.

Oh yeah, is there some kind of connection between Glass Reflection and SFDebris? It seems like everytime GR talks about a show it will suddenly appear on Chuck's list of up coming reviews.

Paranoia Agent
Summer Wars
Madoka Magicka
Kino's Journey
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Aside from SF Debris, my current list is Phelous, RedLetterMedia, and Anime Abandon. And on rare occasions, if I feel like seeing what they think of a specific movie, Brad Jones' midnight reviews. Used to watch more Cinema Snob, but dropped out of that for some reason, and I haven't kept up with any of the other Channel Awesome/TGWTG shows in years and years.
Mercury01
Redshirt

Post by Mercury01 »

I've found I enjoy reviewers who do more in-depth essay-style reviews that examine the mechanics of popular culture through the media they review. Take Lindsay Ellis, for example. She has grown as a reviewer from the Channel Awesome style of just riffing on a particular movie or show, to actually examining how movies and TV use thematic and visual language to tell a story, what that means, and how the examined piece fits into the culture as a whole.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote:My favourites, besides our good Chuck, are Linkara, Good bad Flicks, Brandon's Cult movie Reviews, The Dom, Nostalgia Critic, Diamanda Hagan, Jill Bearup and - from Germany - Lefloid and DoktorFroid.
Is his name Dom or he pretends to whip movies?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

His name is Dom.

Link
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
GloatingSwine
Officer

Post by GloatingSwine »

I don't watch so many 'reviewers' these days. The ones I do tend to be the long form critical content guys like Noah Caldwell-Gervais, Matthewmatosis or Joseph Anderson.

Besides that, it's more critical commentators. Dan Olson (Folding Ideas), Mark Brown (Game Maker's Toolkit), Errant Signal, Turbobuttons, and Nerdwriter.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

What Thanksgiving would be complete without Mystery Science Theater 3000?
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K