The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:With Orville out why do it?
With the entertainment industry these days, maybe they expect Orville to be a big hit and want to jump on that bandwagon.
A niche of a niche of a niche?
Admittedly, even with the tendency of entertainment to play follow-the-leader, this might be the nichiest example I've heard of. Even SyFy ordering Krypton after seeing Gotham's success kind of pales in the face of having two independent parodies of the same franchise.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

There is plenty of room for good comedy, even if it is a sci-fi parody. But good comedy is hard to come by.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

So apparently, The Orville isn't just a comedy but is to have a larger drama element than we may have been lead to expect from the promos, and it isn't to be a Mel Brooks satire. It is to be apparently largely stand-alone stories.

http://tvline.com/2017/08/08/the-orvill ... fi-comedy/
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Robovski wrote:So apparently, The Orville isn't just a comedy but is to have a larger drama element than we may have been lead to expect from the promos, and it isn't to be a Mel Brooks satire. It is to be apparently largely stand-alone stories.

http://tvline.com/2017/08/08/the-orvill ... fi-comedy/
I miss stand alone stories.
Naldiin
Redshirt

Post by Naldiin »

The reviews, sadly, do not indicate promise: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-orville?ref=hp
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

I liked it, but it had as a lot of pilot rough edge, hopefully it get better
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I enjoyed it. It did feel like a light-hearted Star Trek. I expect it will be better as it polishes up and we develop the characters.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

Finally found some time to watch the pilot.

I like the look of it and I like most of the characters however a lot the comedy fell flat imo. Still I would recommend it.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I also liked it well enough. Far more "drama" in this "comedy" than I expected and I wasn't sure if some scenes were meant to be funny or not but, overall, I think it will be worth staring at next week.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

It was okay. Not as funny as I would expect it to be but I did love the feeling like I was watching a TNG episode.