Jurassic Park film

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: Jurassic Park film

Post by Beastro »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 pm I don't think we'll ever know 100% for certain what Dinosaurs and the numerous other kinds of extinct animals were like. Their physical appearances, the noises they made, behavioral patterns... It will remain a mystery for us until the time we can create some kind of time travelling probe droid that can go back and observe Dinosaurs unobtrusively.
Imo, the reason why the old dino look resonates with people so much is how much they align with that part of human nature that is drawn to dragons as a mythological symbol.

Its also quite apt and synchronous that such beasts are in a story involing chaos thematically as dragons in most cultures are THE symbol of chaos.

For me I don't care for the modern accurate picture of dinodaurs for this reason.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Honestly, if we were to have a Mesozoic Park in real life, I'd be more worried about sauropods and ceratopsians than T-Rex and Raptors. Apex predators tend to be pretty chill, especially when they've got steady food. If you're an obligate carnivore, every single hunt is a risk-gain calculation, you always run the chance of being injured by your prey, and even a failed hunt you walk away from is wasted energy. Yeah they talk about the raptors "wanting to hunt, not be fed", but that could easily be solved by a good enrichment team. You get some smart predators, then give them something so they won't be bored. Where are the pumpkins full of beef, the puzzles with treats inside, the dig boxes with novel smells, etc.?

The big herbivores, on the other hand, they are constantly taking in energy to replenish what they lose, and they care more about preserving territory from competition. Either you might be a predator who will try to eat their babies, or you might be another herbivore muscling in on their territory. Best to turn you into a pancake now to save time. Those friendly, peaceful plant-eaters would likely be the embodiment of "I'll kick your ass, I'll kick everyone's ass, I'll kick my own ass!"

One of our problem is viewing animals as they relate to us and our needs, as opposed to considering their perspectives, niches, and internal lives.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

What about the compys? You think you could run a park with those little guys without some kid smuggling one off the island as a pet? Sure it'd look cute, and you could probably get one of those timed cat-feeders, but that thing's gonna get out eventually.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

So I have a question, what happened to the clone Chuck?

Is the clone off doing his own thing of did Chuck pull a Riker, or did the clone become evil and now chuck and the clone are on a rooftop somewhere and Linkara's got a gun pointing at both going "I don't know which one to shoot!"
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Link8909 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:39 pm So I have a question, what happened to the clone Chuck?
Clone Chuck works while regular Chuck sleeps and vice versa.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Link8909 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:39 pm So I have a question, what happened to the clone Chuck?

Is the clone off doing his own thing of did Chuck pull a Riker, or did the clone become evil and now chuck and the clone are on a rooftop somewhere and Linkara's got a gun pointing at both going "I don't know which one to shoot!"
Originally I was going to have SFDebris Red announce that SFDebris Blue was working on the serious analysis of the artistic merit of The Lost World, followed by whimpering, the sound of a shotgun blast and a slumping body. But I decided that was too dark.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

SFDebris wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:56 pm

Originally I was going to have SFDebris Red announce that SFDebris Blue was working on the serious analysis of the artistic merit of The Lost World, followed by whimpering, the sound of a shotgun blast and a slumping body. But I decided that was too dark.
Maybe Sfdebris Blue get Jussaric park 3.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

SFDebris wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:56 pm Originally I was going to have SFDebris Red announce that SFDebris Blue was working on the serious analysis of the artistic merit of The Lost World, followed by whimpering, the sound of a shotgun blast and a slumping body. But I decided that was too dark.
That's fair, perhaps instead SFDebris Red goes to check on how SFDebris Blue's serious analysis of The Lost World is doing, only to find an open window and a note saying "Nope, I'm out!"
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

JL_Stinger wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 am
JL_Stinger wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 pmI agree with Malcolm on the subject of cloning dinosaurs vs cloning something like condors. I wouldn't necessarily frame it as "nature selected them for the extinction." More accurately: random events selected them for extinction, rather than our own malevolence and/or carelessness.
You probably didn't intend to frame it as such, but you ascribe an intent to random events. There is none. It just happened and, due to the short amount of time and lack of secondary means (no spaceships, no bunker-building), dinosaurs and many, a great many other species could not adapt to the new living conditions and consequentially died out. There is no one to blame, there is no intend, it just happened.
JL_Stinger wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 pmIt doesn't matter that we're "more part of the Earth's system" than a space rock. Bad luck is unavoidable, but incompetance is unacceptable.
What incompetence?
Random events and species sometimes failing to adapt are the natural order of things.

Humans causing the extinction of other species is not the natural order of things. It is the result of our own incompetent carelessness (failing to accurately predict the consequences of our actions) or malevolence (deliberately causing extinction). The Earth would be better off if humans didn't exist.
Why are you acting like species falling to adapt to the random event that is the rise of humans is any different from any of the other random events that could have happened?

Or do you consider other animals out competing and wiping out other species to be the same as when humans do it? Causes species out competing and wiping out other species is very much the natural order of things. (I won't get into how "the natural order of things" is a stupid fucking thing to say in the first place)

I'll agree with you it's not a good thing, but it's also not actually any different from all the other causes of extinction.
Last edited by TrueMetis on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.