DIS - The Red Angel

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: DIS - The Red Angel

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Sitcoms are very hit and miss at the networks.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Hero_Of_Shadows wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:50 pm Chandler: Ross it was said you would destroy the Sith not join them !!!

Ross: WE WERE ON A BREAK !
Brilliant!
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:11 pm
As someone who has a love letter to The Orville underneath every comment I make, I can confirm that the humour was the worst part of it. Season 2 ditched much of it and is all the better for it. Imo Seth pitched the show as ''Star Trek:Red Dwarf, brought to you by the guy who created Family Guy'' and was probably locked into a lot of it to begin with.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:12 am
To show you how tastes vary, I'm ditching the Orville because of it. I'm not interested in Seth's attempts to do a serious science fiction show. I want to see a "slice of life in space" series because we've never seen that and the comedy elements were what made it interesting. The moment it became about protecting the galaxy from the Geth, I mean Kaylons, I realized this wasn't the show for me.

I admit I also realized that Ed and Kelly were MEANT TO BE when it was infinitely more interesting that it was two people who didn't work and had to get along post-divorce.
I personally never got into The Orville, I wasn't interested in its setting or characters, and I just wasn't interested in a parody of Star Trek, I probably would have watch it if it was set in the Star Trek universe, and I just didn't find it all that funny, there were some good jokes like Isaac's leg prank, and the social media planet is a good original idea.

But I recognize that it is more to do with my own personal preferences and taste that the quality of the series itself, there are plenty of films and series that I've not watched that are said to be great simply because I wasn't interested in watching them, and it's great that people do enjoy it and I hope it continues to get better and really hope it's able to got on its own terms rather than getting cancelled.

I mean who am I to come in a make people feel bad for liking a series that I personally don't care for by constantly complaining about said series, even going as far a saying that people who do enjoy the series are idiots and not real fans, or harassing the cast and crew of said series with hurtful comments, or spreading misinformation in order to trick people that the series that they like isn't doing well and that they should give up, I mean that would be a dick thing to do.

Also I know I can't really prove it, but when I was little and playing with my Legos, I made two alien races with them and one I actually called Kaylon, spelt the same way as well.
Last edited by Link8909 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Dilandau3000
Redshirt

Post by Dilandau3000 »

There's a bit at around 6:00 into the review where the guy talks about how they think some technological leaps, even on Earth, are the result of time travel.

Isn't that canonically true in Star Trek? According to Voyager's "Future's End," 20th century computer technology was derived from the crashed 29th century time ship, and Janeway called it "part of our history." As far as I recall, that was not some change to the timeline that was undone, it was always part of history.

So technically, that guy is correct.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Dilandau3000 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 pm There's a bit at around 6:00 into the review where the guy talks about how they think some technological leaps, even on Earth, are the result of time travel.

Isn't that canonically true in Star Trek? According to Voyager's "Future's End," 20th century computer technology was derived from the crashed 29th century time ship, and Janeway called it "part of our history." As far as I recall, that was not some change to the timeline that was undone, it was always part of history.

So technically, that guy is correct.
Don't forget that Nog said Earth humans made a huge jump in technology and then they ended up in Area 51.

You have to wonder if the crashlanded Vulcan also helped.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:40 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm I hate STD, but I must admit, season 2 is less actively offensive to me as a viewer than season 1, if only because it abandons the toxic nationalism and violence fetishism for a kind of incoherent insanity that hares blindly from idea to idea without any sense or care.
Can you be more specific?
The way that season 1 goes out of its way to show that Burnham is right. The Klingons really ARE universally thuggish and violent savages who hate us because we love our freedom. The only way to stop these fanatical, religious-terrorist foreign filth from slaughtering our women and children is for our brave military to heroically install a puppet dictator and threaten to slaughter them in droves if they ever step out of line. This is good because we showed enough restraint to not commit genocide and wipe out these barbaric scum!

Hail Space America! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Basically, season 1 is marinated in the most toxic kind of racist, xenophobic neoconservative ultranationalism. It makes Bush, Cheney, and Jack Bauer look like hippies. PACIFIST hippies.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Worffan101 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:59 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm I hate STD, but I must admit, season 2 is less actively offensive to me as a viewer than season 1, if only because it abandons the toxic nationalism and violence fetishism for a kind of incoherent insanity that hares blindly from idea to idea without any sense or care.
The way that season 1 goes out of its way to show that Burnham is right. The Klingons really ARE universally thuggish and violent savages who hate us because we love our freedom. The only way to stop these fanatical, religious-terrorist foreign filth from slaughtering our women and children is for our brave military to heroically install a puppet dictator and threaten to slaughter them in droves if they ever step out of line. This is good because we showed enough restraint to not commit genocide and wipe out these barbaric scum!

Basically, season 1 is marinated in the most toxic kind of racist, xenophobic neoconservative ultranationalism. It makes Bush, Cheney, and Jack Bauer look like hippies. PACIFIST hippies.
That's an interesting read I do admit, but really all I felt for that was it was necessary fodder to set up the Klingon War.

Remember though that this is just a prologue for a culture that comes to a glorious unification with the Federation by the era it's depicted in. It's simply an antithesis to the Federation's diplomacy by design of the show. The Klingons have always been such a borish culture that they just threw in "we come in peace" to echo "we hate your freedom" as an obvious proxy effect. I took the more dramatic makeup to resemble a less familiar culture to American values that's gotten a lot more topical. I really didn't see them as that offensively savage past what we're already expected to know of them.

Not to mention that it's all and all an origin for the Klingon culture.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Really? Because that's the exact opposite lesson I took from it to the point of eye-rolling disgust. Burnham selflessly beats herself up repeatedly and tortures herself over her decision to "mutiny" (that lasted 5 seconds and did nothing) as well as blames herself for the war. She then makes a speech at the end of the series that says, "I was wrong. Peace is the only thing that the Federation should ever stand for and while I mutineed for war before, I mutiny now for peace."

T'Kuvma and his House stand for rapid nationalist racism and xenophobia as well as religious support of war. They're the Bush, Cheney, and Trump of the Klingon Empire that hide behind morality when really embodying white supremacy. Apparently, it's WRONG to resist this kind of toxicity and that we should just accept their intolerance as well as desire to destroy democracy in order to benefit their racial agenda.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:50 am

Really? Because that's the exact opposite lesson I took from it to the point of eye-rolling disgust. Burnham selflessly beats herself up repeatedly and tortures herself over her decision to "mutiny" (that lasted 5 seconds and did nothing) as well as blames herself for the war. She then makes a speech at the end of the series that says, "I was wrong. Peace is the only thing that the Federation should ever stand for and while I mutineed for war before, I mutiny now for peace."

T'Kuvma and his House stand for rapid nationalist racism and xenophobia as well as religious support of war. They're the Bush, Cheney, and Trump of the Klingon Empire that hide behind morality when really embodying white supremacy. Apparently, it's WRONG to resist this kind of toxicity and that we should just accept their intolerance as well as desire to destroy democracy in order to benefit their racial agenda.
And yet Burnham's "peace" is an ostensibly friendly dictator holding the Klingons to ransom with the threat of annihilation. Her "peace" and "tolerance" are predicated on the threat of genocide. That's not peace, or tolerance. That's mindless xenophobic hate. "We must control all foreign filth, they must quiver in terror under our guns for all time, because they are incapable of our superior civilization."

Fuck that.

You know what would've actually worked? Burnham realizing that her racism was wrong for a reason other than "oh right, I fucked a disguised Klingon, didn't I?", mutinying, refusing to even threaten the Klingons, and performing some gesture or service that brought the Klingons to the negotiating table and reaching a truce of mutual understanding.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:50 am

And yet Burnham's "peace" is an ostensibly friendly dictator holding the Klingons to ransom with the threat of annihilation. Her "peace" and "tolerance" are predicated on the threat of genocide. That's not peace, or tolerance. That's mindless xenophobic hate. "We must control all foreign filth, they must quiver in terror under our guns for all time, because they are incapable of our superior civilization."

Fuck that.

You know what would've actually worked? Burnham realizing that her racism was wrong for a reason other than "oh right, I fucked a disguised Klingon, didn't I?", mutinying, refusing to even threaten the Klingons, and performing some gesture or service that brought the Klingons to the negotiating table and reaching a truce of mutual understanding.
Plus in TOS I am pretty sure the emperor was a guy so that just one more thing that this oh so important war fail to have consequences for.