The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by J!! »

Yeah, I did not enjoy the pilot at all, and even I find some of the reviews overly harsh.

I thought it was blandly, generically, mediocre, but I've seen far worse things. It was sit-throughable, nothing more, nothing less.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

J!! wrote:According to a review I skimmed through, but can't be bothered to go looking for, the episode is about whether or not to preform a sex-change operation on an alien baby. The article was not kind.
At least it's an alien. They might pull of this man on the wire act without not being blasted by the press or a sigjnificant portion of the fans.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

'they' being seth macfarlane and brannon braga? if you wanna bet on it, i'll give ya good odds.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I saw both episodes last night on the Fox website. So it is just Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off, from the sound effects to even the background music. The humor is mostly of the awkward situation kind. Not a surprise with MacFarlane. I did laugh out loud once ("Son of a...") , but, overall, I think it's the show's weakest part.
The effects were fine, the acting was OK.
On the plus side, the characters seemed relatable. The problem of the week from the second episode was cliché, but some character moments were handled nicely.
Overall, I think it's watchable. Not great. I don't know that I'd even call it good, yet. Maybe as good as first season TNG, but with different weaknesses and strengths. I'll keep watching for a few more episodes, anyway.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Darth Wedgius wrote:I saw both episodes last night on the Fox website. So it is just Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off, from the sound effects to even the background music. The humor is mostly of the awkward situation kind. Not a surprise with MacFarlane. I did laugh out loud once ("Son of a...") , but, overall, I think it's the show's weakest part.
On the plus side, the characters seemed relatable. The problem of the week from the second episode was cliché, but some character moments were handled nicely.
Overall, I think it's watchable. Not great. I don't know that I'd even call it good, yet. Maybe as good as first season TNG, but with different weaknesses and strengths. I'll keep watching for a few more episodes, anyway.
TNG season 1 was good?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote:I saw both episodes last night on the Fox website. So it is just Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off, from the sound effects to even the background music. The humor is mostly of the awkward situation kind. Not a surprise with MacFarlane. I did laugh out loud once ("Son of a...") , but, overall, I think it's the show's weakest part.
TNG season 1 was good?
It was good enough to keep the show and fans going so it could get better. At the time we ate that up, sci-fi on tv was in short supply and we had this new Star Trek to try to get to know. Fox says ratings for the show are good so far; going to be real interesting to see how official Trek (Discovery) compares to this 'Ster Trak' knock off that they've put together.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Robovski wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
TNG season 1 was good?
It was good enough to keep the show and fans going so it could get better. At the time we ate that up, sci-fi on tv was in short supply and we had this new Star Trek to try to get to know. Fox says ratings for the show are good so far; going to be real interesting to see how official Trek (Discovery) compares to this 'Ster Trak' knock off that they've put together.

I think what kept TNG on the air for at least 2-3 more seasons was that it was already in syndication, while it was still in the first season. And two, it was Star Trek. It had a big name that gave it enough wiggle room to find itself before cancellation and it already had a built-in fanbase that probably would watch just because it was part of Star Trek.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Agent Vinod wrote:TNG season 1 was good?
TNG season 1 had some good in it. I'd call it the weakest season of the show: the plots could be silly, the crew seemed more than a bit self-important, and Picard was often so stiff he could've been used to support the next floor up.
But I enjoyed "11001001" and "Conspiracy."
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Darth Wedgius wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:TNG season 1 was good?
TNG season 1 had some good in it. I'd call it the weakest season of the show: the plots could be silly, the crew seemed more than a bit self-important, and Picard was often so stiff he could've been used to support the next floor up.
But I enjoyed "11001001" and "Conspiracy."

I really did like watching Conspiracy and I liked the plot. But certain things were, well, just gross. Like that dinner scene but overall I did like the episode and it was a few Season 1 episodes that stuck with me.

Edit: I should warn people that this is some of the more gross stuff that I mentioned above.

youtu.be/03QKSjBiG2c
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

I didn't dislike the episode, but it defintiively like it bite more than it could chew on the scenario it made.

Also the Union need to review the process through which species are allowed in their goverment, I'm not sure I would have admited a species that apparently has forced gender reconversion at birth