DISCO Renewed for Season Four

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: DISCO Renewed for Season Four

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:11 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:33 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:54 am WHATTTTT....but I thought it was doomed and doomed Star Trek and everything was cancelled!

:)
Why do you trust the fandom menace? :lol:

As for me, we look to be in a new ST renaissance, and yet for me personally, I just want to see them read wikis more. Modern ST is slowly shaping up, but with bloated, longer-running IPs, you really need to grasp the lore, setting, and characters more to have the clear footing on what it is you want to do. I could overlook many continuity gaffes if I felt it was creative licence and not just a blunder that would have been patched if they knew better. And early STD was plagued by that, yet it seems they've learned their lessons, and good.

Another thing I'd like is if they stopped declaring "firsties." Seen this in SW, and here, and it's irritating. Don't boast "more diverse" except in the areas that matter, and we already had a black protagonist. We already had tons of liberal themes before, with the exception of LGBT representation. Yet, I am of the opinion a good story matters first and foremost.

That's really all I need.
I kind of wish you had consolidated more time to talking about Star Trek than Star Wars on this forum.
You ever seen YouTubers like Overlord DVD? He hates modern ST. He can't explain how, but he does... somehow.
Well dude, that was fun for Episode 1 when it was like 9 years old and nobody knew about skeptical movie viewing, but I don't need my brain scratched on like every flippin thing as it comes out.

Really though don't get me wrong it looks like fun and all, I'm not judging to that regard.
..What mirror universe?
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Am I the only one who remembers Dax the pansexual sequentially genderfluid science officer from DS9?

STD is "first" on absolutely nothing for this franchise, except "first streaming show". It doesn't even have "first intolerable incoherent mess" or "first blatant neocon masturbation fantasy", those go to Enterprise.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm Am I the only one who remembers Dax the pansexual sequentially genderfluid science officer from DS9?

STD is "first" on absolutely nothing for this franchise, except "first streaming show". It doesn't even have "first intolerable incoherent mess" or "first blatant neocon masturbation fantasy", those go to Enterprise.
Bingo. "Firsties" always irks me, because even on LGBT issues, it's not like they're the first, not really. I mean, even in STD, they buried their gays, so it's not really groundbreaking. Same for SW, as we had a gay couple long before Disney. And lying to the next generation should be something we all take issue with.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well, I guess IF you count by the "Seasons" you can say Discovery is doing great. Of course, they are pathetically small and short seasons. Going by number of shows, tiny Discovery is getting close to the number of episodes Enterprise, or any of the other real Star Trek shows, had in it's first season.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Zargon wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 pm Well, I guess IF you count by the "Seasons" you can say Discovery is doing great. Of course, they are pathetically small and short seasons. Going by number of shows, tiny Discovery is getting close to the number of episodes Enterprise, or any of the other real Star Trek shows, had in it's first season.
Yeah, I miss the heyday of cable TV, when you had twenty episodes per season and the really awesome shows made it to five, seven, ten seasons.

The paradox here is the all-important need to make profit. Since the impression I have in the modern culture war is the leftist corporations want to reach a younger audience and toss out the old one, since zoomers are the future and, in my experience at least, leftists are big-scope thinkers who focus so much upon the problems of the future, they forget those which exist right here in the present. And yet, at the same time, they also can't completely toss away the older fanbase, so they string us along with panders, easter eggs, and other useless gestures. That any movie or TV show in the West can succeed nowadays is often in spite of itself. It's a very schizophrenic management style and I'll be quite happy when the pendulum swings in the other direction.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:54 am WHATTTTT....but I thought it was doomed and doomed Star Trek and everything was cancelled!

As for me, we look to be in a new ST renaissance, and yet for me personally, I just want to see them read wikis more.
That's the problem with any long running franchise. Back in 1987, it would have been easy to be versed in Trek canon before getting into TNG. Now it's a 55 year old franchise with a dozen films and over 800 episodes, and there's going to be more down the line. Writers can't be expected to have a Memory Alpha embedded in their brains. Ron Moore even suggested back in 2000 that at some point Trek would need to reboot in order to wipe the slate clean and not have the writers sweating over if they're tripping on continuity traps. J.J. Abrams seemed to have the right idea when rebooting the films, I just wish they were better written.

The upside of DISCO's third season is that by throwing the show into the 32nd century, they've effectively wiped the slate clean. It doesn't matter what we know happened in the 22nd-24th century era anymore, because 800 years have passed and we can't really anticipate what the state of the galaxy is at after such a long period of time. It's now the wild west all over again. Only shows that would have to try to be considerate when it come to continuity is PICARD and STRANGE NEW WORLDS.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 am

As for me, we look to be in a new ST renaissance, and yet for me personally, I just want to see them read wikis more.
That's the problem with any long running franchise. Back in 1987, it would have been easy to be versed in Trek canon before getting into TNG. Now it's a 55 year old franchise with a dozen films and over 800 episodes, and there's going to be more down the line. Writers can't be expected to have a Memory Alpha embedded in their brains. Ron Moore even suggested back in 2000 that at some point Trek would need to reboot in order to wipe the slate clean and not have the writers sweating over if they're tripping on continuity traps. J.J. Abrams seemed to have the right idea when rebooting the films, I just wish they were better written.

The upside of DISCO's third season is that by throwing the show into the 32nd century, they've effectively wiped the slate clean. It doesn't matter what we know happened in the 22nd-24th century era anymore, because 800 years have passed and we can't really anticipate what the state of the galaxy is at after such a long period of time. It's now the wild west all over again. Only shows that would have to try to be considerate when it come to continuity is PICARD and STRANGE NEW WORLDS.
And that's what makes it a great idea, by setting it a millennium ahead, and by potentially tying it into STP, to show where the future has gone... both the good and the bad, as no idea is without a shortage of both. But I still maintain my position. Maybe it's unfair to expect from corporate entertainment in today's day and age, but I think it is essential to have a grasp on the lore, so that you've soaked in the material and thus can have a clearer concept of what you wanna do. It's how many of my creative friends proceed in their art.

As yourself had noted, imagine if the internet had existed in the '80s? You would have a lot of complaints, to the point TNG might not have survived the first season, and then we wouldn't have got all that gold. But, a lot of resources we have now would be removed from the equation, as well. Then again, I can't even write for jack, so what do I know? It's just my opinion. :lol:
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 am That's the problem with any long running franchise. Back in 1987, it would have been easy to be versed in Trek canon before getting into TNG. Now it's a 55 year old franchise with a dozen films and over 800 episodes, and there's going to be more down the line. Writers can't be expected to have a Memory Alpha embedded in their brains. Ron Moore even suggested back in 2000 that at some point Trek would need to reboot in order to wipe the slate clean and not have the writers sweating over if they're tripping on continuity traps. J.J. Abrams seemed to have the right idea when rebooting the films, I just wish they were better written.
And even then mistakes can be made, remember Harve Bennett watched every episode of The Original Series when preparing to make The Wrath of Khan, and yet he forgot that Chekov wasn't in the series until season two, so Khan wouldn't have known who Chekov was.
Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 am The upside of DISCO's third season is that by throwing the show into the 32nd century, they've effectively wiped the slate clean. It doesn't matter what we know happened in the 22nd-24th century era anymore, because 800 years have passed and we can't really anticipate what the state of the galaxy is at after such a long period of time. It's now the wild west all over again. Only shows that would have to try to be considerate when it come to continuity is PICARD and STRANGE NEW WORLDS.
Captain Crimson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 am And that's what makes it a great idea, by setting it a millennium ahead, and by potentially tying it into STP, to show where the future has gone... both the good and the bad, as no idea is without a shortage of both. But I still maintain my position. Maybe it's unfair to expect from corporate entertainment in today's day and age, but I think it is essential to have a grasp on the lore, so that you've soaked in the material and thus can have a clearer concept of what you wanna do. It's how many of my creative friends proceed in their art.
I do agree on that, and I personally feel that they do have that understanding, Star Trek Picard tied into a lot of Captain Picard and The Next Generations history very well and in meaningful ways, and from what I've heard of Lower Decks you need an encyclopaedic knowledge of Star Trek to get many of the jokes.

And I also like that Star Trek Discovery is now in the 32nd century, as it allows a lot of creative freedom not just for stories but also world building, without the worry of continuity, much like with The Next Generation before, and while Star Trek Picard does have that history to consider because it's about Picard, it's still moving forward and can still go in different directions, and while Star Trek Strange New Worlds is a prequel, I think there's enough of a gap in that time to explore, and seeing the crew before Captain Kirk will be interesting to watch.
Captain Crimson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 am As yourself had noted, imagine if the internet had existed in the '80s? You would have a lot of complaints, to the point TNG might not have survived the first season, and then we wouldn't have got all that gold. But, a lot of resources we have now would be removed from the equation, as well. Then again, I can't even write for jack, so what do I know? It's just my opinion. :lol:
Honestly, this is why I'm less critical about these new series and try to be constructive as I can with my criticisms, because most of the arguments made are the same as those back in the 80's (before I was born even) and that if people had their way back then we would have been robbed of all the good that came afterwards, I want these new series to get better, not go away, otherwise it'll be another decade or even longer before anyone even wants to do something with Star Trek.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I'm glad to hear we'll be getting more Discovery. Out of all the reboot series material, it's the least bad (and so far in S3, actually good!)
Link8909 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pmStar Trek Picard tied into a lot of Captain Picard and The Next Generations history very well and in meaningful ways, and from what I've heard of Lower Decks you need an encyclopaedic knowledge of Star Trek to get many of the jokes.
Picard was a sequel to Nemesis (why would you do this?) and ST2009. It barely used anything directly from TNG, and in fact subtly did things that didn't make a whole lot of sense given those character backgrounds.

And as someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of Star Trek, the "jokes" in Lower Decks annoy me, rather than make me feel warm and fuzzy. It feels pandering, and completely shatters the fourth wall in a show that's supposed to be accepted as canon, not a parody show. It's equivalent to having someone sit next to you while you're trying to genuinely enjoy it, and they keep violently elbowing you in the ribs saying "you're gonna love this" and "hey, this part's for fans" and "pay attention" and "Oh oh oh remember that episode?" I guess some people are into that. I'm not.

I know Trek pretty well, so you can do things that use the existing world and build on past events, and surprise I'll get it. I'll appreciate the solid world-building and use of the franchise to make something new and go somewhere new. No need to call it out, throw neon signs around it, and have a character repeat it until I notice. Dropping names, terms, phrases, and having characters in-universe know all kinds of events that are specifically from the shows doesn't feel like a part of that world, it feels apart from it. The best part is, being subtle works better for new audiences, too, because they don't get left out or feel lost or stupid. And you still get to benefit from the storytelling that's happened before when it inspires your new direction, whether the new watcher knows any of that or not.

Rapid-fire fourth-wall jokes don't age well, but good stories do.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Link8909 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm I do agree on that, and I personally feel that they do have that understanding, Star Trek Picard tied into a lot of Captain Picard and The Next Generations history very well and in meaningful ways, and from what I've heard of Lower Decks you need an encyclopaedic knowledge of Star Trek to get many of the jokes.
True enough, and yet there's plenty of fumbling about to be disappointed over. While they were always going to do a "the United States is an empire in decline" tale, that had already been done very well over on DS9. Plus if Picard really needed to get a crew rallied together, why didn't he head to his old friends? I know Sir Patrick Stewart hadn't wanted a repeat of All Good Things... but frankly there are creative ways to get around that. For the much-needed and cathartic final scene about the goodbye to Data we never had we are bogged down in post-9/11 & 21st century political themes, and though those can be done, I think the paradigm shift is going to hurt ST rather than help it in the end if they want to make this into a sustainable franchise for the future.

It was too easy to remark on what we all can see. It would have been much harder to preach about our goodness and show off a rebuilt Alpha Quadrant following the Dominion war, perhaps even a new interstellar pact like on B5, with an outside enemy threatening it, past one beyond the galaxy, since hey, we've seen them. That's a tragedy here. Up until the last few years, stories in the entertainment sphere had focused with largely external threats, in the age of heroes, and thanks to 9/11, worsening political discussions, and the age of the internet, we are more concerned on threats from inside than on the outside, and not in a good way, like you say was the case for the '90s.
Link8909 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm And I also like that Star Trek Discovery is now in the 32nd century, as it allows a lot of creative freedom not just for stories but also world building, without the worry of continuity, much like with The Next Generation before, and while Star Trek Picard does have that history to consider because it's about Picard, it's still moving forward and can still go in different directions, and while Star Trek Strange New Worlds is a prequel, I think there's enough of a gap in that time to explore, and seeing the crew before Captain Kirk will be interesting to watch.
Indeed, there is a lot they can explore now, from the brief glimpses we've seen into that period, so it's a great opportunity, as we are seeing right now. But I think because it's 2020 and many American writers are concerned dystopia is already here, it's going to be very hard to write a story more in line with the themes of old that people first loved about ST. It can't be all doom and gloom. For as much potential that VOY wasted, it was still a good counterbalance that IMO, allowed DS9 to be made. Can we please have a bit more optimism? Just a little? But no, America has no faith in their future, and if the Dominion and even older characters like Weyoun or Dukat show up, expect them to be hamfisted fascist caricatures without depth. Though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

That's the thing with the new generation of writers. In the old days, they were either fans, or had the understanding that to write a good enemy, you had to have a bit of larceny in yourself, or admiration for the other side, as was noted in Space Seed. We got a current crop of Millennial writers who were raised in the generation of participation trophies and how we're all winners, and an increasingly hyperpolarized political climate. Look no further than how back in the '90s, the GOP and DNC seemed fundamentally no different in terms of public discourse. Now there's been a radical shift, and it's also filtered right down into our entertainment, so that it just exacerbates the culture war.

Corporate leftists, an irony if there ever was one, are now being limited in what they can do. They have to work within the older trappings of lore to some extent or they'll lose the older fans, but they also want a new generation of fans, children, as well as a globalist mainstream appeal, which is weird since they throw in so many liberal themes that will get it banned in overseas markets if you stray too far. Those management policies don't jive together and though ST is leaps and bounds ahead of SW in that regard, it's still a concern. Nevertheless, I'd say there is a potential advantage in this, in that the age of streaming means you can, to an extent, take your time in crafting the material, which is why I feel wiki-reading is a must, and that the gold standard needs to be something similar to B5 or SG. And that still hasn't become mainstream, sadly.
Link8909 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm Honestly, this is why I'm less critical about these new series and try to be constructive as I can with my criticisms, because most of the arguments made are the same as those back in the 80's (before I was born even) and that if people had their way back then we would have been robbed of all the good that came afterwards, I want these new series to get better, not go away, otherwise it'll be another decade or even longer before anyone even wants to do something with Star Trek.
A fair point and valid counterargument. I'm not even saying the new stuff is bad, mind you, except for the early gaffes STD made and quickly moved past. I do believe Makeshift Python was right about the reboot, and how it needed a lot more. As much as it might irk some, I shall say, bring back as much of the old guard as you can, including Mr. Berman. I know that's going to raise a few hackles, but I believe if he were to be relegated to a position of creative consultant and maybe a minor producer, it could work. People forget Mr. Berman gave us stellar episodes in the TNG era. Bring back Mr. Moore. Even Mr. Braga. Get them gelling with the new stuff. But that's just what I'd do.