Ghostwatch

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Ghostwatch

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I feel magic biggest secret reveal shouldn't have been on the list, it didn't claim to use real magic. It real how magic tricks are done
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:05 pm Yeah that is a a problem with a lot of fiction (revenge of the fallen anyone) where they have a story should be a change world, and the writers have a hard time accepting that and try to act like it is our world as oppose to changing it.
The Marvel and DC comic universe are super culprits of this. You have aliens, literal gods, actual evidence of the afterlife, robots, space travel, and all sorts of other crazy tech... but the normal people still wear exactly the same clothes, drive the same cars, have the same religions, celebrities and presidents. and even all the states are the same... plus real changes didn't start hitting till WW2, the world was basically the same before that. (Not to mention all the crazies that regularly commit mass murder, or say, turn New York into a forest)

Any one of those things would irrevocably change the entire world overnight but instead it's all treated as fairly mundane. A Batman or Luke Cage running around might not be a big deal overall, but a Spiderman or Captain America, let alone a Thor and Superman, would be huge deals.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:05 pm Yeah that is a a problem with a lot of fiction (revenge of the fallen anyone) where they have a story should be a change world, and the writers have a hard time accepting that and try to act like it is our world as oppose to changing it.
The Marvel and DC comic universe are super culprits of this. You have aliens, literal gods, actual evidence of the afterlife, robots, space travel, and all sorts of other crazy tech... but the normal people still wear exactly the same clothes, drive the same cars, have the same religions, celebrities and presidents. and even all the states are the same... plus real changes didn't start hitting till WW2, the world was basically the same before that. (Not to mention all the crazies that regularly commit mass murder, or say, turn New York into a forest)

Any one of those things would irrevocably change the entire world overnight but instead it's all treated as fairly mundane. A Batman or Luke Cage running around might not be a big deal overall, but a Spiderman or Captain America, let alone a Thor and Superman, would be huge deals.
To be fair, the DC Universe's culture has drifted a bit due to all the capes over the years. Unlike Marvel's continual 'We're just like the real world, no matter what' attitude, the DC universe made sure to note that they have different subcultures, attitudes, and views on things due to their history going differently. Not to the extent of Astro City, but it's there with how Mr. Terrific is pretty much the only real atheist we see, widespread acceptance of aliens, religions, etc. They have more trouble with people setting up religions to worship people like Superman than non-belief.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

I have become more skeptical of the supernatural over time but my big issue is either side treating science and the supernatural as completely separate instead of treating the latter as just a placeholder term for parts of the former not discovered yet. our ancestors thought lightning was magic, who's to say things like ghosts aren't the same way?

the problem I see if that, regardless of the open mindedness of the scientific community, most of the general public are not real skeptics, but gave decided they know for absolute certain that supernatural things don't exist and they'd dismiss any evidence out of hand and even if an actual scientist verified the evidence, said scientist would be renounced by those laymen as a fraud.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:08 am I have become more skeptical of the supernatural over time but my big issue is either side treating science and the supernatural as completely separate instead of treating the latter as just a placeholder term for parts of the former not discovered yet. our ancestors thought lightning was magic, who's to say things like ghosts aren't the same way?

the problem I see if that, regardless of the open mindedness of the scientific community, most of the general public are not real skeptics, but gave decided they know for absolute certain that supernatural things don't exist and they'd dismiss any evidence out of hand and even if an actual scientist verified the evidence, said scientist would be renounced by those laymen as a fraud.
Like who?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:18 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:08 am I have become more skeptical of the supernatural over time but my big issue is either side treating science and the supernatural as completely separate instead of treating the latter as just a placeholder term for parts of the former not discovered yet. our ancestors thought lightning was magic, who's to say things like ghosts aren't the same way?

Like who?
I was speaking hypothetically but I'm sure it's happened.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:53 am

Like who?
The burden of proof falls on you.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:49 am

Like who?
maybe not the actual scientist part but I've seen it plenty of times by laymen on the internet who wouldn't know if something is good evidence of the paranormal or not because they want to dismiss it.
Ixthos
Officer

Post by Ixthos »

Like who?
If I may, I think non-supernatural examples probably would work well due to the issue most people have with the supernatural not being seen as scientifically valid, so examples of former fringe positions that got people laughed out of academia eventually being accepted as fact probably would be good examples to use, such as the idea doctors should wash their hands, or that bacteria can cause stomach ulcers.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Ixthos wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:14 am

Like who?
If I may, I think non-supernatural examples probably would work well due to the issue most people have with the supernatural not being seen as scientifically valid, so examples of former fringe positions that got people laughed out of academia eventually being accepted as fact probably would be good examples to use, such as the idea doctors should wash their hands, or that bacteria can cause stomach ulcers.
that too but I would also still suggest that the supernatural is a Clark's Third Law kind of thing. like to use a fictional example, the Tenth Doctor compared the Careonites' magic to mathematics.