Why Walter Peck was wrong?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TrueMetis
Officer

Re: Why Walter Peck was wrong?

Post by TrueMetis »

Nuclear accelerators, not nuclear powered. Don't talk about not understanding science if you don't know the really significant difference.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

TrueMetis wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:39 pm Nuclear accelerators, not nuclear powered. Don't talk about not understanding science if you don't know the really significant difference.
Yes, they're powered by the State of New York. Which is why they can shut them down.

If they had their own nuclear reactor, they could run for a 1000 years on their own power but it would cost them billions to make.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:02 pm
TrueMetis wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:39 pm Nuclear accelerators, not nuclear powered. Don't talk about not understanding science if you don't know the really significant difference.
Yes, they're powered by the State of New York. Which is why they can shut them down.

If they had their own nuclear reactor, they could run for a 1000 years on their own power but it would cost them billions to make.
The power cells in the proton packs have a half-life of 5,000 years.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Which I guess means they run off of Curium-246.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

The proton pack is a particle accelerator, it somehow (SCIENCE!) strips electrons from protons to fire a proton stream controlled by the "wand". The containment unit uses a laser confinement grid which is drawing power from Con Edison to operate. How dare the Ghostbusters use and pay for electricity to run lasers!
Of the two I am way more concerned about the proton pack, it fires a ionizing ray of nuclear particles that is not confined and is probably very hazardous to fire at people. We can see the property damage that being hit by the stream can cause. It is possible that they contain nuclear materials, which is a contamination hazard, but in that event they are likely more of a risk to the people wearing them than anyone else; radiation follows the inverse square law.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:32 pm
TGLS wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:25 pm
Enterprising wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:18 pm
Keyser94 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:47 pm Maybe you should see the video of today, not a joke anymore.
What, you mean you were serious? In that case, excuse my while I go away to laugh even longer and harder!

youtu.be/iGLXMKUWkJE
A person of class.
Sure, when everyone is dead by a nice nuclear explosion in the middle of New York because no one was there to oversee the operation of so called scientist. Who you wonna call? The Ghostbusters.

Even their backpacks are nuclear powered even that is never explain, because conservatives not understand the concept of science or science fiction, they never explain it, because it was never a factor, they never give a shit about science or regulation of any kind.

Remember that weeks before when Chuck was ranting about how science can fall down because pure greed in his Jurassic Park review? When used in unethical and unregulated ways? And now he is doing the complete opposite argument, wow, how consistent, dear professor.
Did you even ever bothering watching the movie? We see the grid blow up, and them crossing the streams we got nothing to suggest that if could lead to an explosion like your suggesting. They mentioned nuclear power once and you just assumed it meant they are making chernobyl.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Robovski wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm The proton pack is a particle accelerator, it somehow (SCIENCE!) strips electrons from protons to fire a proton stream controlled by the "wand". The containment unit uses a laser confinement grid which is drawing power from Con Edison to operate. How dare the Ghostbusters use and pay for electricity to run lasers!
Of the two I am way more concerned about the proton pack, it fires a ionizing ray of nuclear particles that is not confined and is probably very hazardous to fire at people. We can see the property damage that being hit by the stream can cause. It is possible that they contain nuclear materials, which is a contamination hazard, but in that event they are likely more of a risk to the people wearing them than anyone else; radiation follows the inverse square law.
That is an interesting point, plus something else that needs to be mentioned is that we see them crossing the streams that blast probably would have blow up a small building at worst, at best the room they happen to be in.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:51 pm
Robovski wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm The proton pack is a particle accelerator, it somehow (SCIENCE!) strips electrons from protons to fire a proton stream controlled by the "wand". The containment unit uses a laser confinement grid which is drawing power from Con Edison to operate. How dare the Ghostbusters use and pay for electricity to run lasers!
That is an interesting point, plus something else that needs to be mentioned is that we see them crossing the streams that blast probably would have blow up a small building at worst, at best the room they happen to be in.
I watched tons of times when I was a kid, both movies in fact, but now that I know the details, I not see the Ghostbusters are underdogs victims of the system, not when they have such powerful and unregulated weapons and basically nuclear reactor in their base, Beck is not the mindless idiot, he actually had valid reasons for his actions the movie treat him like a clown. And all comes to the background to this movie, to the ideology of the director, that he even admit it himself, loved Reagan policies, this is basically Law Abiding Citizen, great if you turn off your brain and not think about the details, that our hero is basically a cold blooded killer that killed some tugs when white collar crime, mostly bank executives kicking down grandmas of their own houses for a penny is the most common crime in the U. S., not petty crime, that is actually going low, and also there is the cherry on top that our beloved vigilante killer worked for the CIA. And never the less that make it justified his actions? Make justified that the District Attorney not make more deals with petty criminals? What about the banks that rob people of their homes, their work and their lives, that basically committed fraud and get away with it? They also wont have a deal?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:23 pm
I watched tons of times when I was a kid, both movies in fact, but now that I know the details, I not see the Ghostbusters are underdogs victims of the system, not when they have such powerful and unregulated weapons and basically nuclear reactor in their base, Beck is not the mindless idiot, he actually had valid reasons for his actions the movie treat him like a clown. And all comes to the background to this movie, to the ideology of the director, that he even admit it himself, loved Reagan policies, this is basically Law Abiding Citizen, great if you turn off your brain and not think about the details, that our hero is basically a cold blooded killer that killed some tugs when white collar crime, mostly bank executives kicking down grandmas of their own houses for a penny is the most common crime in the U. S., not petty crime, that is actually going low, and also there is the cherry on top that our beloved vigilante killer worked for the CIA. And never the less that make it justified his actions? Make justified that the District Attorney not make more deals with petty criminals? What about the banks that rob people of their homes, their work and their lives, that basically committed fraud and get away with it? They also wont have a deal?

You seem to have some kinship with Beck, which is why you are defending such a tinpot idiot. We don't care about your politics and your petty grievances.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Robovski wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:28 pm
Keyser94 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:23 pm

You seem to have some kinship with Beck, which is why you are defending such a tinpot idiot. We don't care about your politics and your petty grievances.
Plus you know what else could be a weapon power tools, construction vehicles. Plus just because the ghostbusters need to be regulated doesn't mean Peck is in anyway capable of doing that.