Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Do you have any iconic black or female character that regularly metamorphizes into somebody played by a different actor in mind?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

[youtube] :D [/youtube]
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:32 pm Do you have any iconic black or female character that regularly metamorphizes into somebody played by a different actor in mind?
I don’t know about Black characters, but mystique shapeshift into men all the time and that got no problems. I know it not the same thing but it is tje closest I can think of.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

Part of the tricky process in predicting and guessing the next possible actor is that such a choice is tied with the initial characterization of the Doctor and what their eventual arc will be.

Sylvester McCoy made sense as the initial clownish incarnation as well as the eventual chessmaster putting on a comedic façade to hide his plans. Peter Capaldi had the range and experience to be the colder and harsher Doctor that would become the warmer and inspirational figure explaining the value of kindness.

I mean I wouldn't mind a quasi-return to a Doctor that's a bit more of a debonair professional type ala Pertwee that slowly gets a little more disheveled and less vain over time; so someone like a Naveen Andrews could probably pull of both if he was cast.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:32 pm Do you have any iconic black or female character that regularly metamorphizes into somebody played by a different actor in mind?
No - but that's semantics. Men often lose their genitals whenever there is a reboot. You need not be a shape-shifting alien.

True story: Abrams considered making Kirk a woman. And I'm sure the usual crowds that would have praised him for his "bravery" if he had done so would also have welcomed a male white Uhura *sarcasm*
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm
No - but that's semantics. Men often lose their genitals whenever there is a reboot. You need not be a shape-shifting alien.

True story: Abrams considered making Kirk a woman. And I'm sure the usual crowds that would have praised him for his "bravery" if he had done so would also have welcomed a male white Uhura *sarcasm*
Well have you ever consider there an imbalance of white male leads and every other group on Earth that trying to take someone from group b and turn them into group A is making the imbalance worst than if the reverse happen.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:59 pm

Well have you ever consider there an imbalance of white male leads and every other group on Earth that trying to take someone from group b and turn them into group A is making the imbalance worst than if the reverse happen.
I think if people want great black and female characters then they shouldn't do so by trying to leach off the existing popularity of white male characters. Because that is ultimately why they did what they did with the Doctor instead of making a Romana spin-off. I bet you that I could take Jodie Whittaker's entire run and turn it into a pile of Romana scripts very easily indeed, but that wouldn't have come complete with an oven-ready mega-fanbase. That wouldn't have made a sufficient enough ''statement'' to attract wagging tongues towards Chris Chibnell's bottom.

If anyone thinks they made the Doctor a woman ''just to try something new'' then are naive to the extreme.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:59 pm

I think if people want great black and female characters then they shouldn't do so by trying to leach off the existing popularity of white male characters. Because that is ultimately why they did what they did with the Doctor instead of making a Romana spin-off. I bet you that I could take Jodie Whittaker's entire run and turn it into a pile of Romana scripts very easily indeed, but that wouldn't have come complete with an oven-ready mega-fanbase. That wouldn't have made a sufficient enough ''statement'' to attract wagging tongues towards Chris Chibnell's bottom.

If anyone thinks they made the Doctor a woman ''just to try something new'' then are naive to the extreme.
Is there a political motive for that probably, one we have no reason to believe that a Romana will ever happen, it not let not forget the whole point of Doctor remegeration is too have someone new take the role, why keep the limits that show had 50 years ago?
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

In regard to a Romana spin-off: 1. Technically Romana already has a spin-off in audio form called Galifrey and 2. Even if they did a tv one then they would have to get Lalla Ward to come back if anything for the switch and considering shes in her 70s she might not be able to do as much depending on what they have her do and if they did it without her that might tick off the fanbase considering how popular her ver of Romana is.
Last edited by sayla0079 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yes but then again having a spin off audio drama isn't hard.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 pm Yes but then again having a spin off audio drama isn't hard.
Maybe maybe not but my point still stands that Romana did have a spin-off. Which got away with stuff the show couldn't.