A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by CrypticMirror »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:55 pm If you take all of Trek more seriously than Trek takes itself, then yeah, I can see why some would hate this.
And if you construct a strawman argument, I can see why someone would claim this.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Of course you would respond that way.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Plus it actually about character as oppose to plot and chosen one nonsense.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

Lower Decks is the best Trek since Star Trek Beyond. The less said about Discovery and Picard the better. I've seen lots of complaints aimed at Mariner but she doesn't bother me one bit. She's a much better character than Burnham and actually acknowledges her flaws from time to time. With Lower Decks I enjoyed every episode and had a good time.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Plus it feels more bake into star trek then discovery. Think about it which is more loyal and entertaining to what comes before a series that reference the past while giving playful but reasonable criticism of it, or a series that completely ignore the past seems impossible to have happen because it cares more about it Uber character.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

HumanXeroxMachine wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:38 pm I've seen lots of complaints aimed at Mariner but she doesn't bother me one bit. She's a much better character than Burnham and actually acknowledges her flaws from time to time.
Well that is a low bar to clear, I hate the character and even I agree with that. Now her vs Neelix, that is a match up that would need a photo finish. Burnham is the third worst character ever in Trek, and the other two are in the same show as her.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:59 pm
HumanXeroxMachine wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:38 pm I've seen lots of complaints aimed at Mariner but she doesn't bother me one bit. She's a much better character than Burnham and actually acknowledges her flaws from time to time.
Well that is a low bar to clear, I hate the character and even I agree with that. Now her vs Neelix, that is a match up that would need a photo finish. Burnham is the third worst character ever in Trek, and the other two are in the same show as her.
True, I could see why people would find her obnoxious but I didn't find her to be completely unlikable or insurable as Burnham.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Part of why I'm able to roll with LOWER DECKS is because I understand the exaggerated tone the show is going for and the characters reflect it. If you saw the characters in another show, they'd likely be portrayed differently to fit in with that show's tone. A good example is how Riker is portrayed in his appearance in the season finale. I can't imagine seeing him behave that way in live action, but in LD it works.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

So, I finally found the time to go through Star Trek: Lower Decks. As you can possibly recognize on my new avatar, I like the show. Now, it's not a love-affair, but a good friendship. I like the in-jokes and references and I can empathize with Boimler (the only person on board being able to deal with stress and pressure at all) and Rutherford, as well as to some degree with Tandi, though I absolutely can not understand her naiveté at all, given her surroundings. Mariner is Starfleet Aristocracy and a brat to boot, who puts everyone below her demand to rebell against her parentage, a very pampered-rich-kid attitude that I absolutely despise in both real life and virtual life. She might be the most competent person on board, right after Boimler of all people, but she's a complete cunt and can go die in a fire.

Now, what's bad about Lower Decks? It exists in a vacuum. The same vacuum that The Orville exists in: The absence of any serious Trek outside of the superserious-grimdark Picard and whatever dimension Discovery exists in. It's a good show lacking a good iteration of it's current franchise. If this show had come out along with Deep Space Nine and late TNG or even at any point during Voyager, it would be universally amazingly recieved. As is, it's a good comedy show and the sole flagship of a franchise that is not known for comedy.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yeah but I feel they are aware of Mariner bratty attitude.