Sfdebris fallout 3

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I would like it if the more well known elements of fallout as easter eggs. It doesn't help that we are expected to believe people would keep making super mutants no matter where they are, or expect us to believe that there an ecosystem for a death claw.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:29 pm I would like it if the more well known elements of fallout as easter eggs. It doesn't help that we are expected to believe people would keep making super mutants no matter where they are, or expect us to believe that there an ecosystem for a death claw.
The Fallout universe is not based on realism - its based on SCIENCE!!! Specifically, that of classic sci-fi. Basically, if you can picture it happening on Star Trek TOS or Classic Dr Who, then it can happen here. And as TOS is the universe that brought us the Mugato, I can absolutely see Kirk doing battle with a Deathclaw.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

drewder wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:51 pm Remember super mutants? Yeah we've got them. Remember the Enclave? Yep they're in DC too. Brotherhood of steel? Those guys living out of a military base in California? They're EVERYWHERE. Heck we even got people from the NCR here.
I can buy the supermutants (they are fairly different if I recall, and only one research facility would be a bit silly) and the BoS (especially after Fallout Tactics). The only mentions of the NCR I found on the East Coast are written references. I agree that having the Enclave is fairly cheap.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:29 pm I would like it if the more well known elements of fallout as easter eggs. It doesn't help that we are expected to believe people would keep making super mutants no matter where they are, or expect us to believe that there an ecosystem for a death claw.
The Fallout universe is not based on realism - its based on SCIENCE!!! Specifically, that of classic sci-fi. Basically, if you can picture it happening on Star Trek TOS or Classic Dr Who, then it can happen here. And as TOS is the universe that brought us the Mugato, I can absolutely see Kirk doing battle with a Deathclaw.
It's all about where suspension of disbelief can take you - when it comes to Fallout as far as that classic sci-fi works for me. I find it easier to accept aspects like that (although it would be easier if there was more stuff growing) than some of the aspects on the human side - yes, people are pretty much reduced to living in shanty towns on the whole and wouldn't have much time for cleaning, but that's not quite the same as never. Those little touches that make the difference between a shack and a squat.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Riedquat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm
It's all about where suspension of disbelief can take you - when it comes to Fallout as far as that classic sci-fi works for me. I find it easier to accept aspects like that (although it would be easier if there was more stuff growing) than some of the aspects on the human side - yes, people are pretty much reduced to living in shanty towns on the whole and wouldn't have much time for cleaning, but that's not quite the same as never. Those little touches that make the difference between a shack and a squat.
You would think im fallout 4 they could clean up the trash debris so you don't have to worry about an infestation or a mole rat digging a tunnel and being able hide it
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm You would think im fallout 4 they could clean up the trash debris so you don't have to worry about an infestation or a mole rat digging a tunnel and being able hide it
I found it weirdly frustrating how shitty the world was in Fallout 4.
After 200 years I would think that the survivors would have picked up the loose debris if for no other reason than to fight off the boredom. There is nothing else to do, gather trash and sort it, melt it down, use it to make planters... SOMETHING!
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:35 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm You would think im fallout 4 they could clean up the trash debris so you don't have to worry about an infestation or a mole rat digging a tunnel and being able hide it
After 200 years I would think that the survivors would have picked up the loose debris if for no other reason than to fight off the boredom. There is nothing else to do, gather trash and sort it, melt it down, use it to make planters... SOMETHING!
If it was ten years after the bomb drop maybe but after a while they would have project to clean the place up in major population if for no other reason than to keep people from dying of tentanus
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

TGLS wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm
drewder wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:51 pm Remember super mutants? Yeah we've got them. Remember the Enclave? Yep they're in DC too. Brotherhood of steel? Those guys living out of a military base in California? They're EVERYWHERE. Heck we even got people from the NCR here.
I can buy the supermutants (they are fairly different if I recall, and only one research facility would be a bit silly) and the BoS (especially after Fallout Tactics). The only mentions of the NCR I found on the East Coast are written references. I agree that having the Enclave is fairly cheap.
I disagree - I think the Enclave is the only one of those that actually makes any sense. They're the remnants of the US Government - while the senior leadership might have all gotten blown up at the oil rig in FO2, it's perfectly reasonable for there to be support staff, scientists, etc. near DC. While they wouldn't be numerous, but I can quite easily see them still existing in some form on the east coast.

The supermutants make no sense as they were specifically a project by the Master only at Mariposa. While there was likely FEV on the east coast, too, it makes no sense for them to have been mass produced like the Master did, and they serve no purpose other than to be disposable orcs.

The BOS traveling 3,000 miles in the numbers we're shown completely stretches plausibility (to say nothing of the strength we see in FO4). I could accept the remnants of a scouting party that headed east and got cut off from their original path - not the massive military force we encounter.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Independent George wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:43 am
TGLS wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm
I disagree - I think the Enclave is the only one of those that actually makes any sense. They're the remnants of the US Government - while the senior leadership might have all gotten blown up at the oil rig in FO2, it's perfectly reasonable for there to be support staff, scientists, etc. near DC. While they wouldn't be numerous, but I can quite easily see them still existing in some form on the east coast.
I'll concede it could make sense, but it's narratively cheap to have the villain from the last game, who by all accounts were totally destroyed, are apparently doing just fine on the other side of the continent.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:35 pm
Because Bethesda (Or rather, Todd) prefers to produce the image of Fallout rather than what it is. They think Fallout is post-apoc ruin, super mutants, dark humour, graphic body dismemberment, etc. That the world was built by Black Isle to be a living developing one despite the oddities was lost on them.

They are shallow thinkers when it comes to Fallout, which is sad because of the depth to the world building in TES (which is, yet again, undermined by Todd). What makes TES work was nuanced fantasy of a sort (Think Daggerfall's intrigue) and the weird metagaming world building like CHIM, not Fus Ro Dah lulz fun shit.
TGLS wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:58 am
I'll concede it could make sense, but it's narratively cheap to have the villain from the last game, who by all accounts were totally destroyed, are apparently doing just fine on the other side of the continent.
But, but, but that's what people love about Fallout, not the dynamic, evolving world where a nation was born from a backwater village into a regional power that inevitably got sucked into the same old sins of the Old World that is the real trilogy of the series, FO1, 2 and NV.