TOR Bounty Hunter

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: TOR Bounty Hunter

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:17 pm The Lone Rose: "I *thought* you would hire me to rescue him!"

Supreme Chancellor's Wife: WHY WOULD I HIRE YOU TO RESCUE A MAN YOU KIDNAPPED?

The Lone Rose: Because I would have done it!
Good job.
Poor Lone Rose. Literally no one in the galaxy seems to accept he's supposed to be a neutral party.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Steve wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am Even the devs seem to have realized nobody likes Skadge, given how they employed him after the KOTFE time jump. (OTOH, Blizz rules.)

BH was my first Imp class (and hilariously, Chuck's doing them in the exact opposite order I cleared them, and I did all the Republic classes first) and I enjoyed it, I'm also curious how Chuck will do things differently than the character I played.

Also, posted this before reading page 2, dur.
Trooper924 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:22 pm Incidentally, very early on in the game's development, the bounty hunter and smuggler classes were going to have their own "underworld" faction separate from the Republic and Sith, but it ended up getting dropped at some point for reasons I don't think have ever been made clear.
That would've made so much sense. And I once laid out how I'd do that and then replace them in their respective factions with "Imperial Stormtrooper" and "Republic Diplomat". The former would've given us a direct look at the Imperial military just as the Trooper was involved in the Republic military - I believe I proposed making them an anti-insurgency strike force that occasionally deals with Sith interference - and the latter would be the Republic's counterpoint to how the Empire operates. Instead of the Imperial Agent being an infiltrator who manipulates others into serving the Empire, the Republic Diplomat is meant to operate openly, bringing individuals or worlds into the Republic sphere through negotiation and the fostering of common interests and ideals. Granted, this is an action-adventure MMO so the Diplomat would have to get involved in "aggressive negotiations", but since they would clearly invoke Padme and Leia (pre-Sequel Trilogy) anyway, it would work thematically.
Do you have a copy of how youe 2 classes would have work I be fascinated to see.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:04 am
griffeytrek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 am I just started messing with Star Trek Online after a long absense. That might make for an interesting SF Debris series much like this. It similarly has some very strong single player stories.
Does it? Haven't played it since launch, but back then it barely had a story. At least for the ten hours or so I put in before I got bored of the naval combat loop and there wasn't anything else to keep my interest. I might have to try it again if there's good story now.
There are a number of Story arc's or Episodes. With each episode having around 6-10 chapters in it. They follow a steady progression through the game. And are mostly replayable on the same character. The single best Episode is the Iconian War. The best faction storyline is probably the Romulan. Fed, Klingon and Romulan start with their own stories but all merge together somewhere around New Romulus and the Dyson Sphere episodes. The TOS and Discovery era Captains start out in their own settings, then time jump you forward into the regular Federation storyline. All of the story content can be enjoyed as part of the Free to Play gameplay. And the free ships are more than sufficient to get you through it.

The main setting for the game is ~20-30 years after Star Trek Insurrection, and following the destruction of Romulus. But in the mainline TNG setting. There is quite a bit of quality voice work in game from a good number of ST actors. Mostly DS9 and Voy. But some from others. Including some very nice work by the Late Leonard Nimoy, Arron Eisenberg and Rene Auberjuois (sp?).

While not perfect stories, and still largely in service to an MMO, so lots of shooting stuff and combat, it is a game very clearly made by people who love Star Trek. And love the Star Trek that most Star Trek fans love.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

STO gradually got better and climaxed with the Iconian War.

Then...they fell off the rails again.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Steve wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am (OTOH, Blizz rules.)
I wish Chuck would use him as a companion in the videos. Blizz is hilarious to take on missions. The way he catapults himself over your head, flying at the enemy with his mighty battle cry of "Tankini!". He's alsoa remarkably good Tank.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:05 am
Do you have a copy of how youe 2 classes would have work I be fascinated to see.
Sorry, it died years ago when the first version of the SFDebris forums went down, what I can remember was what I already put, and that the classes would've fit the "opposite" mold mechanically too (that is, the Pub Diplomat would come in the same class types as the Imp Agent, and the same with Imp Stormtrooper and Pub Trooper).

Granted, the Pub diplomat likely would've been a blaster pistol-wielder and probably not too dissimilar to Smuggler, just as the Stormtrooper would've used rifles and such. BH and Smug would probably have had to be re-tooled to be more unique as part of the "underworld faction" thing.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Steve wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:05 am
Sorry, it died years ago when the first version of the SFDebris forums went down, what I can remember was what I already put, and that the classes would've fit the "opposite" mold mechanically too (that is, the Pub Diplomat would come in the same class types as the Imp Agent, and the same with Imp Stormtrooper and Pub Trooper).

Granted, the Pub diplomat likely would've been a blaster pistol-wielder and probably not too dissimilar to Smuggler, just as the Stormtrooper would've used rifles and such. BH and Smug would probably have had to be re-tooled to be more unique as part of the "underworld faction" thing.
thank you anyways