VOY - Unforgettable

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
pilight
Officer

Re: VOY - Unforgettable

Post by pilight »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:43 pmAny professional soldier from near enough any real world country since the 1930s could wipe the floor with Starfleet security. And that's being generous because i'm not sure what answer they would have for most heavily armed gangs throughout the world either. Could you imagine Chakotay taking his ''you looked the wrong way'' shtick against the Cartel? He would end up with a machete through his skull.
It goes along with Starfleet security not being soldiers because Starfleet is "not a military organization"
Sojourna
Redshirt

Post by Sojourna »

The most hilarious part about all this is that when sfdebris' review came up, my immediate thought was "it's that episode". So many years gone by since I had watched (and promptly forgotten) "Unforgettable" as a child, and yet it all rushed back to my mind.

I can't wait to forget again.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

drewder wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:13 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:35 pm
drewder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:29 pm I do think the ship needs better ways to deal with intruders than it has. Like a security protocol where any unknown lifeforms on board have their gravity increased to the point that they can't move. Or holographic security officers. Or autofiring turrets. Nobody should be able to be a hostile boarder of a starship
Autofiring turrets on Voyager would accidentally wipe out the whole crew long before the end of the first season. That's if the visiting dignitary they shot dead didn't provoke a response that killed them all first.
Presumably the turrets would only activate during red alert. Also you just need to register each visitor as they come aboard. The ship can detect individual life signs from orbit, i bet it can track who is on board.
I can easily see those auto turrets being hacked or malfunction with the 'weird thing of the week'.

There is so much you can do to upgrade security in Trek.

1.) True authorized personnel barriers to sensitive areas. Whether it's security locks, active computer scanning, security codes, forcefields etc.

2.) Some sort of body armor for the security. Something they can strap on easily enough when they have to grab their phasers. Doesn't have to be phaser proof but can greatly reduce the impact to perhaps just a decent burn that takes a doctor a few minutes to fix. Heavier armor for severe shipboard issues like enemy boarding.

3.) Transporters wiping out anything not authorized like weapons or biological agents. Perhaps suspend the person in question until you have security in place to rematerialize him on the pad.

4.) Actual physical barrier in place in the brig. Along with the forcefields. If power goes off, the barrier is still there.

5.) Forcefields that completely surround the intruder instead it just blocking the whole corridor.
I got nothing to say here.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:56 am I can easily see those auto turrets being hacked or malfunction with the 'weird thing of the week'.

1.) True authorized personnel barriers to sensitive areas. Whether it's security locks, active computer scanning, security codes, forcefields etc.

2.) Some sort of body armor for the security. Something they can strap on easily enough when they have to grab their phasers. Doesn't have to be phaser proof but can greatly reduce the impact to perhaps just a decent burn that takes a doctor a few minutes to fix. Heavier armor for severe shipboard issues like enemy boarding.

3.) Transporters wiping out anything not authorized like weapons or biological agents. Perhaps suspend the person in question until you have security in place to rematerialize him on the pad.

4.) Actual physical barrier in place in the brig. Along with the forcefields. If power goes off, the barrier is still there.

5.) Forcefields that completely surround the intruder instead it just blocking the whole corridor.
The Voyager Elite Force game actually introduced a fair few great concepts that I was disappointed the show itself didn't take up. Main one being the concept of security team members having a transporter buffer belt strapped round them. They'd store all their equipment within it, meaning they can have their weapons, breather masks, tricorders etc. all useable at a moments notice.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I can see there being a weird thing of the week but there can be safeguards like making the auto-turrets only being able to operate at stun settings unless physically connected to a different power supply. Not great for stupid plots but great if you don't want to have them go amok.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

pilight wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:38 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:43 pmAny professional soldier from near enough any real world country since the 1930s could wipe the floor with Starfleet security. And that's being generous because i'm not sure what answer they would have for most heavily armed gangs throughout the world either. Could you imagine Chakotay taking his ''you looked the wrong way'' shtick against the Cartel? He would end up with a machete through his skull.
It goes along with Starfleet security not being soldiers because Starfleet is "not a military organization"
I'm told that nobody is better trained than Starfleet security
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

drewder wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:13 am
Presumably the turrets would only activate during red alert. Also you just need to register each visitor as they come aboard. The ship can detect individual life signs from orbit, i bet it can track who is on board.
Would you want to set foot on Voyager, satisfied that those systems work with absolute reliability? Although if someone had forgotten to mention Neelix to the system when he first came onboard...
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:05 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:56 am I can easily see those auto turrets being hacked or malfunction with the 'weird thing of the week'.

The Voyager Elite Force game actually introduced a fair few great concepts that I was disappointed the show itself didn't take up. Main one being the concept of security team members having a transporter buffer belt strapped round them. They'd store all their equipment within it, meaning they can have their weapons, breather masks, tricorders etc. all useable at a moments notice.
Well, in the case of the personal transporter buffer that's a case of "conceit for the game," since we've established in-universe a few times that you can't hold a pattern in the buffer forever - it starts to degrade and won't be able to reform - so my personalized photon torpedo launcher from Elite Force is more likely to rematerialize with a bunch of holes in it if I waited an hour to take it out. Plus I don't think Trek at the time was thinking about miniaturized Transported tech, at least not until Nemesis.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The buffer belt might be augmented with some carbon source to patch up the holes in the relatively simple molecular design of the tools, like one of those mini consoles that's internally programmed for like 50 games, though due to efficiency you couldn't replicate them and would need to input originals but you could use the replicator tech to patch up while being able to hold them indefinitely in the buffer zone unlike the crew in Counterpoint.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Linkara wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:55 pm Well, in the case of the personal transporter buffer that's a case of "conceit for the game," since we've established in-universe a few times that you can't hold a pattern in the buffer forever - it starts to degrade and won't be able to reform - so my personalized photon torpedo launcher from Elite Force is more likely to rematerialize with a bunch of holes in it if I waited an hour to take it out. Plus I don't think Trek at the time was thinking about miniaturized Transported tech, at least not until Nemesis.
Star Trek - The Next Generation; Season 6, Episode 4; "Relics"

Checkmate.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox