Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 am True. Robocop reboot tried to use today's climate advanced into the not so distant future. An all black quick moving Robocop makes sense than a shiny blue slow moving tank of a robot. Robocop just don't have that charm of the original. I actually think Robocop 2 did a better job. That's just me. And personally I do prefer the original suit. Though that initial updated version wasn't that bad, but don't like that flip up visor though.
Pardon the intrusion a moment. I have not actually seen the reboot Robocop. But your description of how the new one is leaner and agile. Wasn't that actually what Chuck said was the original concept of Robocop? The Slow tank was because the costume was too cumbersome to move?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:33 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 am True. Robocop reboot tried to use today's climate advanced into the not so distant future. An all black quick moving Robocop makes sense than a shiny blue slow moving tank of a robot. Robocop just don't have that charm of the original. I actually think Robocop 2 did a better job. That's just me. And personally I do prefer the original suit. Though that initial updated version wasn't that bad, but don't like that flip up visor though.
Pardon the intrusion a moment. I have not actually seen the reboot Robocop. But your description of how the new one is leaner and agile. Wasn't that actually what Chuck said was the original concept of Robocop? The Slow tank was because the costume was too cumbersome to move?
The new one specificallty the black one many have noticed it looked like a Batman suit than a Robocop.

If I recall with the original, originally Peter Welling and his mime teacher came up what would be described as snake movements. I don't have alot to go on exactly how that meant, or fast he would move.

I know what was in the movie was result of Peter having to come up with a new movement style once he realized how much his movement was restricted.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Joel Kinnaman surprised me in Altered Carbon because apparently he's actually a fantastic actor.

Its just his direction in Robocop must have been shit.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I think he asked for the flip up mask because he didn't want to act behind a mask.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

HumanXeroxMachine wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:03 pm I think he asked for the flip up mask because he didn't want to act behind a mask.
Understandable. Which is probably why we will never see him full prosthetic makeup.

Peter Welling spent alot of time where you only see his mouth.
I got nothing to say here.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 am I actually think Robocop 2 did a better job. That's just me. And personally I do prefer the original suit. Though that initial updated version wasn't that bad, but don't like that flip up visor though.
Robocop 2 was very flawed, but I enjoyed what it aimed for. The only issue was the humour lacked the Verhoeven zaniness to the black humour.

The first film perfectly jumps between humour and seriousness. Ed-209 rips apart a guy with machine guns in one scene and then soon after we have the similarly drawn out, but horrific scene of Alex's dismemberment.

I will say that I rewatched Robocop 2 recently and the intro struck me, hard: It inspired the first Command and Conquer and is where the series famous FMVs came from. Watch Robocop 2s intro with the new reel, then watch Command and Conquers.

I mean, both even have a section talking about a mysterious cult leader known as Cain!
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:42 pm Since we are still discussing this. The first turn off to the movie was that Erin had distanced herself from investigating ghosts and was getting on with her life. She finds out her name was tacked onto a book that would ruin her credibility. And when she went to ask her former associate to retract her name. They pranked her then upped the ante on using her credibility to push the book sales.

This is like me shaking Stephen King's hand and putting him on the cover as co-writing a book with me. It isn't right.

But the original Ghostbusters the crew knew and respected each other. Venkman might have been a scammer, but he also was the voice of reason and kept the guys grounded. Since Spengler and Stantz were too eager to jump into anything.
Yeah, come to think of it she was being wrong in ruining her academic life.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's weird, Robocop and Karate Kid are both franchises where I'm mostly just familiar with the third one and grew up having equally partial familiarity of the first two movies.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:58 am It's weird, Robocop and Karate Kid are both franchises where I'm mostly just familiar with the third one and grew up having equally partial familiarity of the first two movies.
For me it was the seconds, especially Robocop 2 and Ghostbusters 2.

I guess it depends on what/if your local news stations (if you were old enough) played on weekend afternoons and evenings for your bored child mind to repeatedly watch.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Beastro wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:05 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:58 am It's weird, Robocop and Karate Kid are both franchises where I'm mostly just familiar with the third one and grew up having equally partial familiarity of the first two movies.
For me it was the seconds, especially Robocop 2 and Ghostbusters 2.

I guess it depends on what/if your local news stations (if you were old enough) played on weekend afternoons and evenings for your bored child mind to repeatedly watch.
Same for Ghostbusters but since they didn't have a 3rd one I just picked up on the second one more. I personally don't like the first one better or worse. I think the climax is a lot more fun in the second movie and I think most people would agree that Cheech Marin gives it the edge.
..What mirror universe?