"Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Frustration
Captain

Re: "Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

Post by Frustration »

Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:02 am And popular opinion doesn't matter at all it's called Tyrany and I trust the mob before I trust a tyrant because at the end of the day the mob can be satisfied. Members of the mob are for the most part only violent when desperate and turned against each other by tyrants, but tyrants are never satiated.
Are you a Canadian? Because I would expect an American to know that the Executive and Legislative branches are the ones that are supposed to be responsive to popular opinion, and the Judicial branch was intended to provide a bulwark against it.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:36 amWith all due respect, that more aptly describes democracy. Or perhaps a constitutional democracy to be a bit more specific.
No, it doesn't. At least part of this argument is due to your having wild and crazy ideas about how democracies are supposed to function. Even direct democracies don't work that way.
pilight wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:21 amAny time you start denigrating the intelligence of the people you should remind yourself that you're one of them.
That is precisely what I am not.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:02 am And popular opinion doesn't matter at all it's called Tyrany and I trust the mob before I trust a tyrant because at the end of the day the mob can be satisfied. Members of the mob are for the most part only violent when desperate and turned against each other by tyrants, but tyrants are never satiated.
Are you a Canadian? Because I would expect an American to know that the Executive and Legislative branches are the ones that are supposed to be responsive to popular opinion, and the Judicial branch was intended to provide a bulwark against it.
One can know how a system works and recognize that it's a shit system.
You are also wrong, neither the Legislative Branch nor the Executive branch are designed to be responsive to popular opinion. The senate explicitly advantages small states, the districting system of the house means that a party gets to pick it's own constituency meaning they can have little of the popular support, and the electoral college is a specific bulwark against popular opinion. The end result of building bulwarks against popular opinion is that no part of the government is responsive to it. It's a bad system that lead us into one Civil War and is poised to plunge us into another.
Frustration wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 pm That is precisely what I am not.
You're not one of the people, than what are you?
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

You are also wrong, neither the Legislative Branch nor the Executive branch are designed to be responsive to popular opinion.
We elect the Legislative branch, and significant parts of the Executive branch. Their terms of service are limited, requiring frequent turnover, and elections are mandated.

If you're an American, you must have failed your civics course.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Frustration wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 pm
pilight wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:21 amAny time you start denigrating the intelligence of the people you should remind yourself that you're one of them.
You're not a person? That explains a lot.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:32 am You're not one of the people, than what are you?
An aristocrat.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:36 amWith all due respect, that more aptly describes democracy. Or perhaps a constitutional democracy to be a bit more specific.
No, it doesn't. At least part of this argument is due to your having wild and crazy ideas about how democracies are supposed to function. Even direct democracies don't work that way.
You're loading things.

It's going to have an inevitable impact on policy outcome.

It's only one discrete aspect of a republic though.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

So you denigrating the intelligence of people is just a thing for you?
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

He's a troll, what were you expecting?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:57 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:16 am I'm too tired to argue with you.
Interracial marriage or my thoughts that abortion is more about personal beliefs than men wanting to control bodies?
The latter.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville