Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CMWaters
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by CMWaters »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:53 am
CMWaters wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:07 am The AI that is protecting Daystrom: could that be how Moriarty plays a part in all this? Would be a stretch to explain but so far it's the best lead to it all.
That would be a nice touch. Moriarty's whole thing was that he wasn't really a villain, and it'd be nice if he got to escape that tiny holocube thing in a non-antagonistic way instead of being stuck in Starfleet Psychotic AI Storage next to Landru and Peanut Hamper.
Indeed.

Another possible suggestion that someone put on a YouTube post is also interesting: The heroes are having trouble with Lore, so they recruit Moriarty to deal with Lore. After all, he was created to be a match for Data, and save for the cruelty (which Moriarty could connect to based on his literary base) the two sons of Soong are the same.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CMWaters wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:58 am
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:53 am
CMWaters wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:07 am The AI that is protecting Daystrom: could that be how Moriarty plays a part in all this? Would be a stretch to explain but so far it's the best lead to it all.
That would be a nice touch. Moriarty's whole thing was that he wasn't really a villain, and it'd be nice if he got to escape that tiny holocube thing in a non-antagonistic way instead of being stuck in Starfleet Psychotic AI Storage next to Landru and Peanut Hamper.
Indeed.

Another possible suggestion that someone put on a YouTube post is also interesting: The heroes are having trouble with Lore, so they recruit Moriarty to deal with Lore. After all, he was created to be a match for Data, and save for the cruelty (which Moriarty could connect to based on his literary base) the two sons of Soong are the same.
Didn’t data admit that lore is better?
..What mirror universe?
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

I don't remember whether that is the case or not, but either way, Data is pretty self-loathing in general, so I certainly wouldn't take his word for that.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The Lore i remember was a pretty good liar. As in, ''that was his main tactic in every episode we saw him in.''

He lied about being Data twice, he lied about the Crystalline Entity, he lied to his own father, he lied to the Borg, he even lied about being sorry before trying to shoot Data - which is rather telling, yes?

That aside, kind of a shitty message that you can kill thousands of people and nearly start an interstellar war but you can be ''better now.'' Screw that, where's his punishment?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 am That aside, kind of a shitty message that you can kill thousands of people and nearly start an interstellar war but you can be ''better now.'' Screw that, where's his punishment?
Pardon, but can you elaborate a small bit?

What are you referring/responding to here? Who is saying Lore is better now?
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:27 am I don't remember whether that is the case or not, but either way, Data is pretty self-loathing in general, so I certainly wouldn't take his word for that.
I’d say he is overly skeptical. Also I was wrong about what he said, which was the reverse of what I said.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:47 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 am That aside, kind of a shitty message that you can kill thousands of people and nearly start an interstellar war but you can be ''better now.'' Screw that, where's his punishment?

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:27 am I don't remember whether that is the case or not, but either way, Data is pretty self-loathing in general, so I certainly wouldn't take his word for that.
I’d say he is overly skeptical. Also I was wrong about what he said, which was the reverse of what I said.
''Who is saying Lore is better''
The comment, two above the one I posted.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:38 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:47 pm

''Who is saying Lore is better''
The comment, two above the one I posted.
Okay, so the quote from the show involves Data comparing himself to Lore, and does so repeatedly in some seemingly self-conscious manner. And I believe it had to do with the caliber of machinery designed with intent to function synonymously as a human, not by moral evaluation.
..What mirror universe?
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

OK, quick thoughts from the newest episode:

I had to pause and rewind a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things with the Genesis II torpedo. Guess Carol and David's work is not forgotten.

Was nice to see these legacy ships in a new series. Guess if the station is still around Deep Space 9 has a new ship to replace the Defiant. Wonder what legacy the USS New Jersey has to be along the Enterprise-A, Defiant and Voyager.

And hopefully this disproves the "Jack is a Changeling" thing.

Guessing they decided to give Data, in a way, one last chance since Picard Season 1 wasn't as well received as they hoped (even if Data's finale was nice to see for me originally). Curious to see what the end result will be for this hybrid.

Also, nice to see Seven still having fond memories of Voyager.

Oh, and I thought they did nice upscaling the TNG Season 1 footage.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 am Didn’t data admit that lore is better?
Lore didn't concern himself with ethics and morality, which gave him an advantage in direct conflict. On the other hand, Data had a LOT of friends. Lore had no long-term allies.

Sociopathy is often a disadvantage.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

I feel like the season peaked in episode 3 or maybe 2, right now they plot got a bit too complicated, and there's only 4 more episodes to go. Not too fond of how Ro turned out or about her demise (what, her shuttle doesn't have an EVA suit she could have taken? Discovery had Iron Man-like EVA suits almost 150 years prior). Also, the CGI for the Changeling morphing looks kind of shit, did they rotoscoped some meat being minced or something?

Episode 6 might as well be called "Memberberries", because there's like two whole damn museums full of them. It was hilarious to see how much the writers were desperate to shove as many memberberries as possible, some were damn right ridiculous. Kirk's body is there for some reason? Mutant tribble? Really? Also, is Vadic an actual Changeling now? I'm confused. I thought it was only her hand. Or is she an entire colony of Changelings? Like a micro-Link of sorts?

The season reached the half-way point, and it seems to be veering off, and with Sidney even telling Geordi "The galaxy is at stake here, dad" it's clear that yet again, there's yet again another world/Federation-ending plot... just like the previous times... only now at least there's still something resembling of a story... mostly.