I kind of like Pilot Neelix

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: I kind of like Pilot Neelix

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:04 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:35 am And this is "apparently" because Garret said that was told to him by Rick to his face.
Note this is the same Garret who totally denied the People incident on the podcast entirely and claimed he was never going to be let go so take that with a grain of salt.

Also what's with the him being gay thing? He's not gay, or at least if he is he's compensating to Bulldog on Frasier levels of degrees. He constantly talks about the female actresses he was trying to get in the pants of on the show, and his current lady partner works on the podcast.
It's a rumor someone planted on the Internet and somehow this perpetuated, despite him even sueing against the guy who kept telling it.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

That would explain why i never heard of him being gay lol.

Still though, I think we can also agree that SOMETHING is up with the writing of this character. His weird sexual appetites, the fact that he never gets a promotion, Wang being refused a chance to direct.

He ends this series literally as the exact same character. The Doctor breaks his programming, Chakotay gets a blonde, Paris gets a wife and a kid, Neelix gets a woman and a kid, Janeway has PTSD. What can you say about Kim? Nothing. Nothing changes.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The writers had no interest in him, so his role never got particularly refined in any regard beyond "He's so naive", so Kim is a default go-to for the more "Out there" shit that flies a writer's fancy that day and that wouldn't fit with any of the other established characters. Harry Kim is literally the shit-eater of the series. I imagine this wasn't helped by the producers wanting to get rid of Wang/Kim, but being mandated by the higher ups to be keep him around, after the "Most Beautiful Person alive"-nonsense.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:51 pm The writers had no interest in him, so his role never got particularly refined in any regard beyond "He's so naive", so Kim is a default go-to for the more "Out there" shit that flies a writer's fancy that day and that wouldn't fit with any of the other established characters. Harry Kim is literally the shit-eater of the series. I imagine this wasn't helped by the producers wanting to get rid of Wang/Kim, but being mandated by the higher ups to be keep him around, after the "Most Beautiful Person alive"-nonsense.
Yeah that is what I think. Early seasons we barely had anything involving Kim in a significant way.

I think there is something about emhim not being liked. Tom Paris got demoted and then re-promoted in the series and yet Kim stayed an Ensign. There is no reason Kim should have ever stayed an Ensign in the series. Story wise, series wise. I can tell you that in the US Navy, ensigns are automatically promoted to Lt. Jr Grade in two years.

By the fourth season Harry Kim would have been a full Lieutenant. He should have ended the season like that. With a review board a year after he came back to be a Lt. Commander. But four years in active service in Starfleet should have given him those two gold pips.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

So I never went into my opinion on how to make Neelix better.

I know I said before my general idea for Voyager is make it a new federation show, so I would have gone with Neelix, being a former vet in a war that destroyed his people, is now a CEO who owns the largest Talaxian company and is now ergo the president of his people. A salvage company that Janeway and the others need to eek out a life in the Delta Quadrant, but they are able to better and change him. Think Quark but he's the Nagus, and he's more bitter and paranoid because of what happened to him.

BUT, in fairness to Voyager, they wanted to go home. So, with pilot Neelix... go with the fact he's the rogue. Keep him that. He can play up he's a 'dumb defenseless idiot' because of his voice and pudgy apperance, but he's a man who has to survive in a bitter area dominated by Kazon. Neelix is a survivor and will backstab anyone, and when he grows to love Voyager... he becomes someone who will defend Voyager. Harshly. Serving as a spy master for Janeway on enemies... and even the crew, as a man who will protect the ship and crew, but he's much harsher on it. A kind of one man spy network and internal services, who because he is not part of the Federation or Maquis, is able to be impartial and unbiased. Sort of like Odo... but instead of being a cop, he's your friendly chef and motivational leader... who also wants to make sure you are not endangering the crew and will space you if he considers you a traitor.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Huh. Wow, I certainly look foolish.

My apologies, internet. What I heard is not in fact true and I will not go commit Klingon self-immolation in the fire pits.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:15 am Huh. Wow, I certainly look foolish.

My apologies, internet. What I heard is not in fact true and I will not go commit Klingon self-immolation in the fire pits.
Wait what?
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nobody700 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:23 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:15 am Huh. Wow, I certainly look foolish.

Wait what?
I made a mistake...ON THE INTERNET.