Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by TGLS »

Mercury01 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:21 pm
"If you come in peace, surrender or be destroyed. If you're here to make war, we surrender."
And that's why Picard surrendered in the first episode of TNG.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

I don't want to make a double post in the My Little Pony thread but another thing to add to what I said there is, despite the TVY rating, I find it hard to believe that no one died in either Discord's original rampage or Tirek's which the former helped with. especially since the pegasi drop out of the sky when they are drained of magic.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

TNG the Child. Among Gorgon Pulaski's many sins is failing to report to the Captain.
Well, kinda sorta. Troii's pregnancy was a medical emergency and higher priority.

OK, she went to the Bar and randomly met someone with an emergency, BUT

The episode with Picard's girlfriend, she was Chief of Archaeology and the first time she met Picard was when her experiment broke Picard's Tea, Earl Gay, hot.

From damn dirty Hyooman POV, saying Hi to Boss on first day seems obvious, but that ain't the Starfleet way, that ain't Gene's vision and if you think like that, you don't deserve to wear that uniform!
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and more on my thoughts on Discord from MLP. when he first showed up, he was clearly a sociopath and thus, he would have no desire for friends because he lacks the ability to empathize with any other living thing. you can't just decide to empathize when you literally cannot do it.

and this goes back to my disagreement on Chuck's speech in the review of "Lethe". it isn't different values that leads to atrocities, it's individuals who cannot feel empathy. we need empathy to co-exist but without it, horrible things happen and unless it is an accident or in defense of one's self or others, it is absolutely impossible for someone who feels empathy to harm another.

yes, there are some sociopathic individuals that regret their actions but supernatural or not, there's still something wrong with them and the remorseful ones are few and fare between anyway. but then again, another part of sociopathy is manipulating others emotions so who knows if they really were remorseful especially since most of the supposedly remorseful ones I know of are now dead.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Artabax wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:36 pm TNG the Child. Among Gorgon Pulaski's many sins is failing to report to the Captain.
Well, kinda sorta. Troii's pregnancy was a medical emergency and higher priority.

OK, she went to the Bar and randomly met someone with an emergency, BUT
Why was Troii's pregnancy an emergancy? Seriously, pregnancy is a fairly common occurance, even in the 24th century. Was Troii just hanging out in the transporter room looking for someone to unload about her pregnancy to and palaski said "virgin birth? I'd better get you to the bar STAT!" In fact the bar might be a good explination for how she is pregnant without being aware of doing the fun part. A process that normally takes 9 months doesn't take priority over a quick chat with your new boss as you arrive on the job. Heck most OBGYNs won't even make an appointment with you until you're around 3 months pregnant.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

A process that normally takes 9 months doesn't take priority over a quick chat with your new boss as you arrive on the job.
The whole pregnancy takes a few hours. That IS an emergency.

Saying Hi to the Boss is an obvious thing for damn dirty Hyoomans to do; but Gene's vision tm is that Fed has "evolved" beyond that.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Artabax wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:58 am
A process that normally takes 9 months doesn't take priority over a quick chat with your new boss as you arrive on the job.
The whole pregnancy takes a few hours. That IS an emergency.

Saying Hi to the Boss is an obvious thing for damn dirty Hyoomans to do; but Gene's vision tm is that Fed has "evolved" beyond that.
Nope, not buying it. No one knew at the time that the pregnancy was going to take a few hours. The only issue at that moment was the fact that it was a Jesus style conception and frankly any sane doctor (especially one as brash as her) would currently be telling Troi to stop making excuses for her lack of precautions rather than believing such a thing.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Although doesn't it just fit in with Gene's female-friendly federation that the possibility exists that they just monitored Troi's uterus three days ago and it wasn't pregnant then! Because then there's documented proof it is a crisis REQUIRING the presence of the CMO. Fits in with the whole constant-brain-scanning thing from Voyager too xD
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I'm willing to buy that there are constant scans of people's bodies in the Federation on starships. You don't seem to have any real privacy from the computers at all.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:56 pm Although doesn't it just fit in with Gene's female-friendly federation that the possibility exists that they just monitored Troi's uterus three days ago and it wasn't pregnant then! Because then there's documented proof it is a crisis REQUIRING the presence of the CMO. Fits in with the whole constant-brain-scanning thing from Voyager too xD
You know what I love about this? It seems to be canon that the ship and its resident telepaths do violate your privacy at every moment of the day, and yet if you are abducted from the ship not a single alarm goes off to alert anyone. You have to wait for someone to manually search for you.