STD: Lethe

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Re: STD: Lethe

Post by Zoinksberg »

YAGWG wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm Maybe the crew shirts say "DISCO" because:
  1. They're all big fans of The Cinema Snob's movie of that name.
  2. They all drive Land Rover SUVs
:D
It all makes sense now! After WWIII they lost all records from the 1960's-2060's except for Brad Jones' film Disco and the songs We Trying to Stay Alive and Love and Happiness. That's why they know nothing of our culture and think that our time was nothing but drug dealers and crazy RGB disco parties!

Meanwhile The Orville shows what the future is like when those records weren't lost. Nothing but nostalgia for the hundred years of culture that was lost to ages in Star Trek.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh, and for controversy's sake. The Govt should neither be interested in the contents of my womb nor in ending my life.
What... what are you going on about? The government has no business regulating a woman's vagina, period. Is this a reference to what people call "SJW Star Trek?" Because bringing that up is quite topical in the 21st century.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:00 am
Oh, and for controversy's sake. The Govt should neither be interested in the contents of my womb nor in ending my life.
What... what are you going on about? The government has no business regulating a woman's vagina, period. Is this a reference to what people call "SJW Star Trek?" Because bringing that up is quite topical in the 21st century.
I think in this review, Chuck talked about how any combination of being pro/anti-death penalty/abortion can be justified by logic (of course, given any postulates you can justify anything with logic), in relation to how poorly explained the position of the "logic extremists" are.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

I was rewatching this review because I finally bought the Blu-ray and I just saw this episode. So I noticed Chuck made a small mistake from the beginning of the episode. Tilly was about to order a healthy green juice but Burnham cancels her request and orders the breakfast burrito (Tilly's whispered "With salsa" is just adorable) for both of them. Chuck's description of the scene was the opposite way around (like Michael was getting Tilly to order something healthy). I liked the scene because while Burnham was harsh toward Tilly on their morning run, she chose to reward her with a big breakfast when Tilly proved she could run.

On a related note, Tilly's burrito was absolutely tiny compared to the breakfast on Tyler's plate! It's almost like he's got the appetite and stomach of a, well, never mind. On the other hand, if he was being starved by Klingons for seven months, Tyler was probably making up for all the missed meals. Yes, he was making up for the missed meals....