DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:11 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:42 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 am
thisithis wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am Game of Thrones is written by qoute unqoute idiots now.
Still telling better stories that DIS is.
I would rather not rewatch the recent GOT seasons so i can reach a conclusion.
I think the tits and celebrity cast covered up for a lot of its failings in the early days which have only become more pronounced as the show has gone on. Its better that the Walking Dead though.
I will try to remember the early seasons. Care to elaborate?
Exactly what I said. I think it was a substandard show that managed to get people watching by having tits on screen at a time when that was still controversial and managed to disguise bad dialogue by the quality of the people they managed to hire. Even terrible script coming out of Sean Bean's mouth is going to sound awesome.
As for Walking Dead, its problem is that it kills too many main characters who still have potential scripts solely for shock value (Glenn and Andrea spring straight to mind) and it is extremely unvaried in its plot lines. They settle somewhere, they make an enemy, it gets destroyed, repeat. Alexandria is the only exception in that they rebuilt it (although it will probably also get destroyed one day).
I cape for early GOT no problem but i watched it in 2011. Piovra is according to me the greatest show off all time. i watched the first 4 seasons 4 years ago but i cannot recall a whole lot in detail.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am
thisithis wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 am
I did hear sfdebris mention StarGate Universe. Mostly just lighting. So, he does know about SGU and how much it killed the StarGate franchise. SGU only had two seasons and I think Dis will follow. Does that mean he's may end up reviewing SGU? Because I think when he gets to the PE where the scientist fight the well armed and well trained Marines was one of the most boneheaded ideas ever put on TV or any show. Or at least one of the most one-sided fist fights ever.
I'm not sure that SGU "killed" StarGate. The other two SG shows had already wrapped up by the time SG:U came along and it was a surprise that they were making another one at all. Had it not been made then SG would have been finished anyway. It was intended to be a continuation (vs Dis which is a revival / prequel) and it failed, but SG would have been dead had it not come along regardless.

I think he likes SG:U better than Dis. The former didn't screw with canon as much and it holds up a bit better on repeat reviewing, plus it started to find it's feet later on. Dis still has a chance to do the same, but it has a different set of problems despite both having similar tones.

I like Discovery - and I don't concur on Chucks "this show is devoid of joy". We have little moments of it - for example when Tilly set next to Ash and some of her friends did so, too. And yet, while this show might be really dark sometimes - it's still better than the show, that was Stargate Universe.

While Discovery took some (major) liberties with the Trek-Formula, the last iteration of Star Trek as a TV-Entity was - what - 13 to 14 years ago?
And in his "The Expanse" Review Chuck said: "Well, Enterprise was still in the style of the 90s, that's why it was not well recieved".

What Stargate Universe did was far worse than "being dark". It went dark within seconds. You have lighthearted SG-1 and SG-A and suddenly you get survivor-drama aboard the Destiny. I gotta say: "i hate Universe. I really, really dispise it and I'm glad that it got kicked of the air after 2 seasons. They could've used those two years to give us 2 more seasons of Atlantis. But nooo, they wanted their big new show to be like Battlestar Galactica."
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 pm I like Discovery - and I don't concur on Chucks "this show is devoid of joy". We have little moments of it - for example when Tilly set next to Ash and some of her friends did so, too.
That was a moment of joy for you? Tilly sitting with him silently just showing she was there for him was a nice moment. When everyone else started gathering around, shaking his hand, laughing and talking with him it felt like they took that nice moment and just rammed it down your throat. It felt like when someone tells a decent joke and then decides they need to explain it and repeat the punch line several times afterwards while laughing loudly about it.

To the point though, when the rebuttal to "this show is devoid of joy" is to say "no it's not, there's 10 seconds right there!" then it really solidifies Chuck's point more than deflates it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Chuck said the show is devoid of joy? Well, there you go. So happy he said that! XD
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

This is me when someone says it’s devoid of joy:

Kilroy
Redshirt

Post by Kilroy »

There are so many things in the show that just felt weird or off. There were a lot of potential cool ideas, but so many things felt wasted. And the whole season didn't feel coherent, but incredibly scattered, like there were a bunch of different writers all trying to write different stories.

A big part of it feeling so scattered is that it's all one plot line and not an event of the week, compared to the other first seasons. While all of them were rocky, they didn't feel tiring because, while there might have been a lot of idiocy, it was an entirely brand new flavour of idiocy the next week so at least it tasted different.

And the ending felt incredibly forced. "Well let's wrap this up incredibly quickly and all in a nice neat package." There wasn't enough build up to it or anything. I was honestly expecting the Klingon war to go on to the next season at the start of the episode, but nope.

And then when I saw the bomb part and the detonator being given over my first thought was "Oh, they're giving her a fake detonator and they're going to sneak the bomb into the meeting with all the house leaders, which will create a power vacuum and force the Klingons to turn inwards in a civil war." But no, the plan was ACTUALLY the plan.

That aside, is the bomb still on the Klingon homeworld years later? What happens if it somehow accidentally goes off? And more importantly, what happens if someone steals it and the detonator? It just seems like something that would be talked about and get a lot more recognition or something. Or a second Klingon looking to be rivals would ALSO plant a bomb and make similar threats. Or SOMETHING. Hopefully it gets addressed in the second season.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Kilroy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm That aside, is the bomb still on the Klingon homeworld years later?
Someone probably found it and hid it in a place where nobody would ever find it and it couldn't harm anybody in the future: Praxis.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm This is me when someone says it’s devoid of joy:

They got there at the end. Space Hitlerina ordering people around on the bridge...:(
Last edited by Karha of Honor on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilroy
Redshirt

Post by Kilroy »

Zoinksberg wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 pm
Kilroy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm That aside, is the bomb still on the Klingon homeworld years later?
Someone probably found it and hid it in a place where nobody would ever find it and it couldn't harm anybody in the future: Praxis.
If they end up making that canon that would be both hilarious and kind of brilliant.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Gorkon: “Dammit, this embarrassing. How do we cover this up?”
Assistant: “Let’s pin it on over-mining and insufficient safety precautions.”
Gorkon: “...it’s stupid, but it’ll cover our honor.”