DS9 - The House of Quark

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: DS9 - The House of Quark

Post by Karha of Honor »

drewder wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:51 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:04 pm I have often wondered how such 19th century sexism survived into the 24th century. Women are not allowed a seat on the council? They are not allowed to even run a House? These women are essentially Amazons! They should make the Suffragettes look like children in the havoc they would cause trying to get equal rights. Why have these warrior women not gone to war against the men? And unlike human women in the 19th century, Klingon women are allowed to serve as soldiers; they have guns and bombs and Bat'Leths and are crewing warships.

At least with the Ferengi women they are trapped naked indoors with zero access to influence and firearms. That is not true with Klingon women. Sorry but Duras sisters aside they really do not seem to be making all that much of an effort despite having plenty of opportunity.
Why sexism survived? Because the universe was created by Gene "no women captain's" Roddenberry. Seriously in my mind his supposed forward thinking progressivism amounts to having access to as many sexual partners as possible in as mant combinations as possible or as the vulcans say "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"
If he takes good care his kids and gives back to society...

What is inherently unprfogressive about sleeping around?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:48 am
drewder wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:51 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:04 pm I have often wondered how such 19th century sexism survived into the 24th century. Women are not allowed a seat on the council? They are not allowed to even run a House? These women are essentially Amazons! They should make the Suffragettes look like children in the havoc they would cause trying to get equal rights. Why have these warrior women not gone to war against the men? And unlike human women in the 19th century, Klingon women are allowed to serve as soldiers; they have guns and bombs and Bat'Leths and are crewing warships.

At least with the Ferengi women they are trapped naked indoors with zero access to influence and firearms. That is not true with Klingon women. Sorry but Duras sisters aside they really do not seem to be making all that much of an effort despite having plenty of opportunity.
Why sexism survived? Because the universe was created by Gene "no women captain's" Roddenberry. Seriously in my mind his supposed forward thinking progressivism amounts to having access to as many sexual partners as possible in as mant combinations as possible or as the vulcans say "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"
If he takes good care his kids and gives back to society...

What is inherently unprfogressive about sleeping around?
You guys impeached Clinton for it.
Power laces... alright.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 am
I barely knew what sex was.

The Democrasts have all the same position from that time?
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:48 am What is inherently unprfogressive about sleeping around?
No they didn't. They impeached him for lying under oath in a federal court (which is, in usual cases, a felony). The topic of the lie just happened to be his sleeping around.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 am
Which makes it even worse that you did that.
Power laces... alright.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 am
Which makes it even worse that you did that.
I pretty much did nothing, but you must imagine you know better.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm Star Trek's planet names are crap in general. Kling for Klingons, Vulcan for Vulcans, Romulus for Romulans, Andoria for Andorians etc.

Should someone tell them that we don't live on the planet Human?
Yeah but are those the names they have for themselves? Or just the names our ancient astrologers gave them that thus stick? Or what the universal translators run them through?

Sort of a Nippon/Japan thing.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm Star Trek's planet names are crap in general. Kling for Klingons, Vulcan for Vulcans, Romulus for Romulans, Andoria for Andorians etc.

Yeah but are those the names they have for themselves? Or just the names our ancient astrologers gave them that thus stick? Or what the universal translators run them through?

The Nippon/Japan dynamic has been brought up.

When I look at galaxy maps, I see the Romulan Star and just suppose that Vulcans already called it that and thus took the name for their new solar habitat.
Power laces... alright.
Poipoi
Redshirt

Post by Poipoi »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 am
RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 am

The Nippon/Japan dynamic has been brought up.

When I look at galaxy maps, I see the Romulan Star and just suppose that Vulcans already called it that and thus took the name for their new solar habitat.
I'n surprised they haven't renamed Earth to " Hum " for humanity. lol
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

My fanon is that the Vulcan exiles stopped by Earth in their search for a new home and came across the Romans, who they greatly admired, and adopted some names for themselves in honor of. :D
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR