Stargate SG-1: Hathor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Re: Stargate SG-1: Hathor

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:27 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:16 pm I like the episode. Yes, it has all this problematic moments and yet, I still wold not agree with Chuck on this one, that it would be something, that is barely recommended. Maybe it comes to personal taste, maybe to the fact, that I somehow always manage to see and acknowledge the ugly stuff of my sources of entertainment and still like them nonetheless.
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm Ah, the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode, which shows and movies inexplicably kept on making right into the (checks newsfeed) at least April 2020... God, please make it stop. And I say that as a woman too.
As one of the "white angry men" I say - no. Don't make it stop. Give us those shows, until people around the world noticed, that women can do the same things men can do - and maybe even a bit better.
Showing TV where this happens will convince the parts of the world that think TV is real.
Good point there - although, let's be honest: If some parts of the world (including our part of the world) think, that women can kick more ass, I don't see anything negative about that.

By the way, just watching "the great wall" on the side, personally I think, it is a fun little humourus flick - but I'm sure, that people will call it bad and I can't help but think: "Aren't you taking this shit waaaaaaaay too seriously?"
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:16 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm Ah, the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode, which shows and movies inexplicably kept on making right into the (checks newsfeed) at least April 2020... God, please make it stop. And I say that as a woman too.
As one of the "white angry men" I say - no. Don't make it stop. Give us those shows, until people around the world noticed, that women can do the same things men can do - and maybe even a bit better.
You just heard from an actual woman that this shit has gone too far. Maybe you should listen to her?
That is an excellent question:
Should we listen to women, who say, that this "shit" has gone too far?
Well - question is: Why does she say that?
I read on different "conservative" forums, that the "Frauenquote" (female quota) would be a sweet, little gift.
Now - is it a "sweet, little gift" or was the female author of those lines, one of those women, who either were just repeating the "male view" or a profiteer of the situation at hand?

Same here. Why does "Cryptic Mirror" hold the view, that this "shit" has gone too far?
The problem with guys like you is that she could give you a bullet pointed list and you still wouldn't listen.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:16 pm I like the episode. Yes, it has all this problematic moments and yet, I still wold not agree with Chuck on this one, that it would be something, that is barely recommended. Maybe it comes to personal taste, maybe to the fact, that I somehow always manage to see and acknowledge the ugly stuff of my sources of entertainment and still like them nonetheless.
Showing TV where this happens will convince the parts of the world that think TV is real.
Good point there - although, let's be honest: If some parts of the world (including our part of the world) think, that women can kick more ass, I don't see anything negative about that.
Everyone's tolerance for sexist propaganda is different.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 pm
This.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:48 pm
This.
Very true - plus, what also is a factor: Who is the recieving end of the sexism.
I have no problem with guys getting the short end of the stick, because I hold the view, that we had our time in the limelight.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm
This.
Very true - plus, what also is a factor: Who is the recieving end of the sexism.
I have no problem with guys getting the short end of the stick, because I hold the view, that we had our time in the limelight.
So in your opinion, because men OF THE PAST treated women badly, I should suffer even though I am not guilty of anything at all?
Nah. No dice. I'm responsible for none of the shit that women have faced; women are getting nothing special from me just because I happen to have the same genitals as some a hole who lived before I was born or someone who lives today but I have no control over.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:05 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm
This.
So in your opinion, because men OF THE PAST treated women badly, I should suffer even though I am not guilty of anything at all?
Nah. No dice. I'm responsible for none of the shit that women have faced; women are getting nothing special from me just because I happen to have the same genitals as some a hole who lived before I was born.
Hm - I'm not responsible of the bullshit, that happened 80 years ago in my country, but I am expected to live with that responsibility in order to make good decisions for a better tomorrow, which would lead to "no nazis" - good, we see how good that works right now, never the less.
So - yeah, men of the past treated women badly - but you should bear the burden for that, none the less.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Cryptic Mirror's original comment wasn't about having a feminist message in an episode of television, but about "the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode".

You can support feminism and still think that most television efforts to deliver a feminist message in the 80's, and in the decades that followed, were done very badly, often playing up the tired, sexist tropes they were trying to rail against (as Chuck pointed out is the case in "Hathor").

To quote Futurama:

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:13 pmHm - I'm not responsible of the bullshit, that happened 80 years ago in my country, but I am expected to live with that responsibility in order to make good decisions for a better tomorrow, which would lead to "no nazis" - good, we see how good that works right now, never the less.
So - yeah, men of the past treated women badly - but you should bear the burden for that, none the less.
His "burden" is to treat women like regular human beings, not carry and place them onto a pedestal, worship them and praise their every fart as a work of art. I am fairly certain that clearspira covers the former.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

The thing is when talking about this episode is that the message isn't "Women can do the same thing men do"

It's "Women can do what men do if Men aren't available to do it." Since the empowerment narrative is entirely contingent on the fact there's no one else available. That's why they even arm the doctor!

That's without going into how conveniently the only time this happens the foe is herself a woman. Designated girl fight ahoy.